Wide spread faucet mixer -- how to get off

Users who are viewing this thread

Water Hammer

Reaction score
Hi! I've got a question that will likely make me feel stupid once I know the answer. Unfortunately, I don't even know the correct nomenclature, so I had little luck Googling. Here it is:

I've got a wide-spread-type faucet (separate valves and spout) in a bathroom sink. It started leaking above the mixer element at the bottom of the spout part. I removed the hoses and a nut below, and now it turns out that mixer element can spin freely, so one can't screw it off. However, this thing must have been installed somehow. What's the correct disassembly? (And can anyone share some wisdom whether I should expect some sort of seal to replace there or just put in a new faucet once I got the old one off?) Photo below. The "nut" with a thread for one of the water hoses is the mixer element I'm wondering about.

Sorry, I already feel stupid asking the question, but I looked around quite a bit and couldn't find a setup that looks quite like this.

IMG_1814.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Look at the back of the faucet. Sometimes it is just a logo. A picture of the topside would help.

Water Hammer

Reaction score
I finally found something, with a mirror... One of the fittings of the faucets where the hoses connect is marked BARAND USA.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your picture doesn't show the valves enough to tell for sure, but it appears that there's a couple of holes in that brass nut under the sink. My guess is that they supplied an L-shaped wrench that fit into the holes, and you used that to turn the nut to loosen, and then remove the valves. You might be able to use an allen wrench in one of the holes as a lever, but risk distorting it.

Hopefully, someone will know for sure.

Water Hammer

Reaction score
but it appears that there's a couple of holes in that brass nut under the sink

The two holes on the brass thing, let's call it the tee, on the bottom are where the water hoses mount. That tee rotates on the stem, so one can't screw it off or tighten it. I wonder whether it's actually meant to come off during installation. It might perhaps just so clear the installation hole. But if so, how do I get the nut above off?

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
Loosen the nut on the shank, spin it all the way down. From the top, pull the spout up exposing the shank. The spout should be removable from the shank.

Water Hammer

Reaction score
Thank you all! Actually, the answer is--as I had feared in my initial post--surprisingly simple: violence. Pulling the shank up doesn't work since there's a washer in the way that holds the spout when the nut is tight and makes pulling the shank up with that tee on impossible. However, the tee comes off if one pulls it down with sufficient force. That also would explain how a leak developed there. I suppose I might just replace the entire darn thing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks