Why would cast iron vent stack corrode? Rain water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ednamae

Reaction score
Thanks in advance. The cast iron vent stack (apparently coming off our 1965 main drain line in the slab with nothing draining into the stack other than perhaps rain water from the roof) is completely rotted through at the bottom in multiple cracks and I assume leaking sewer air into the house. The pipe is slightly off kilter...tilted, but still, why would it be rotted through? Stress cracks from the 50 year old crooked install? Or does it indicate some other problem that I am not imagining? Water backing up into the vent stack? We just bought the place so no idea. Multiple things seller did not disclose....like sewer odor I am assuming he smelled. Stack is cast iron for a few feet then 2 90 degree bends in galvanized to the roof, all original.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It deteriorated because the air inside it is warm and humid, and there is no water running down the pipe to "wash it". It is a very common problem with old "vent" lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks