Why use purple primer on sche 40

Users who are viewing this thread

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
My point exactly.:)

Some swear by it, and some don't.

Good luck

Oh yea, The air line is just over 15 years old, and still in use.

I do like the smiley

SewerRat;
No I am not, lic. plumber. Never claimed to be.
I take no offence to anything ask about me.
I never make a statement I can't prove, or is untrue.

Travis

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Waterwelldude now that brings up a couple more questions.
  1. Do you provide plumbing to others in Texas?
  2. Since you are not a plumber how do you know your state does not require you to use primer to make a solvent weld joint?

Goodnight Cookie take care.

Waterwelldude

Reaction score
I have to know when its required and when its not.
Within the city limits it is required. Outside in the county, it is not.

I have to know all the codes/rules/laws, pertaining to the project I am working on or with, be it well or septic system.

Because I hold two separate lic.
One for wells, and one for septics.
I don't need a plumbers lic. to do any plumbing directly associated with my job, be it a well or a septic.

Now anything before that, that is where a lic. plumber is required.

Travis

Redwood;
I know that its not a good idea to use pvc in this way.
It has been done by thousands of people, and will continue to be used.
Your not supposed to speed, but it happens.

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I have to know when its required and when its not.
Within the city limits it is required. Outside in the county, it is not.

I have to know all the codes/rules/laws, pertaining to the project I am working on or with, be it well or septic system.

Because I hold two separate lic.
One for wells, and one for septics.
I don't need a plumbers lic. to do any plumbing directly associated with my job, be it a well or a septic.

Now anything before that, that is where a lic. plumber is required.

Travis

Redwood;
I know that its not a good idea to use pvc in this way.
It has been done by thousands of people, and will continue to be used.
Your not supposed to speed, but it happens.

After a bit of on-line research I found that Texas requires the use of primer to be used on PVC pipe prior to the use of the solvent. I find it hard to believe that counties and cities are allowed to make the code less strict.

Here in Illinois the Illinois Plumbing Code is the bare minimum the plumbing can be done, cities , townships and counties can not make the code any less strict, but they can make it stricter. For example the Illinois code says Type M copper is allowed for potable water supply within a building, all odd Du Page county changed the code to that copper pipe in a building for potable water supply must be at least type L.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned Texas needs to hold onto their plumbing ideas and their politicians....

They don't work well for the rest of us...:cool:

Read my auto signature...

Cookie

Reaction score
It looks like to me directions might come on that can?
My kids taught me to read all directions.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Primer is required by code. Sure, you can stick pipes together without primer and it may hold forever. But, it may not. To argue against using primer is pointless and foolish, because you are arguing against code and good practice. Further more, to brag about using PVC for compressed air further diminishes your credibility. PVC can and does rupture under pressure and can and has seriously injured people. The "fact" that you have used it for a long period of time just indicates that you are on borrowed time. Both of your arguments are indefensible. :(

Wraujr

Reaction score
Cleaner vs. Primer

Are you sure you guys are talking about same...

Waterwelldude is saying CLEANER and there is an Oatey Cleaner
cleaner.jpg

While you others are saying PRIMER.
primer.jpg

Would you ever use both???

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I used clear Cleaner, and in a pinch rarely only Cement, no primer because I didn't have any inspections and my customers hated purple primer even though my 'plumbing' was very neat.

It's been awhile since I read manufacturers' of PVC instructions but what I recall says, any type of cleaner or primer made for PVC or, All Purpose cleaner and/or primer or cement can be used, including mechanical means such as sandpaper, steel wool etc. to get rid of the 'shine' dirt grease etc.. Which a thinking kinda guy might say... Hey, no cleaner or primer is needed!

So the CODE may call for Purple Primer but it has nothing to do with the strength of the joint, it is a visual used for inspection purposes. Along with the fact that the CODE isn't used everywhere; and geographically, there is more of the country not under CODE than is. And it's only a problem if a joint comes apart.

As to Texas... last I heard it has the 8th largest economy in the world and had a budget surplus up to just recently and I can't say that it doesn't now. If the state or region you live in doesn't have a surplus, you might want to ask why not. BTW, Texas managed to do that with no personal income tax. And you can't find better roads and services anywhere and it is the second largest state in the union.

Cookie

Reaction score
As a homeowner and one who likes coordination and fashion ( t shirts and jeans) it would be nice if they could make that stuff in perhaps, a nicer color, like baby blue, or minty green. :p Then the customers might not complain about the look of their pipes.

Waterwelldude

Reaction score
I am working on patenting a red striped glue. That when it dries, it will leave a cheerful pink line at the base of the joint being glued.
For the more adventurous customers, a minty green is also in the works.;)

Just trying to give some of the more colorful customers a choice.:D

I was just stating the things I have seen where cleaner was used.

Yall sure do get all bent out of shape, when someone has a different view than you do.

Travis

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I am working on patenting a red striped glue. That when it dries, it will leave a cheerful pink line at the base of the joint being glued.
For the more adventurous customers, a minty green is also in the works.;)

Just trying to give some of the more colorful customers a choice.:D

I was just stating the things I have seen where cleaner was used.

Yall sure do get all bent out of shape, when someone has a different view than you do.

Travis

Sounds like you might have beeen sniffing it a bit already!

iblewc3p0fk7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The only purpose of purple primer is so an inspector can see that it was primed/cleaned...it is slightly less aggressive than clear...the use of purple will not make the weld any stronger than clear...in fact when we were first required to use it here it was causing the pipe to slowly back out and it was causing problems...we (plumbers) started mixing clear primer with purple at 50/50 and this solved the problem while leaving a telltale purple stain so inspectors could see it was primed...priming should be done when solvent welding per the directions on the can,thanks cookie, per code...and if the use of purple is required by code, it should be used...

using PVC for compressed air is nuts in my NSHO....

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
NH does not require purple primer, but it does require primer and you can buy the stuff in clear. Without the primer, a solvent weld is not completed. The primer cleans and softens the pipe and fitting so that the glue can penetrate both and make what is when dry, a solid piece of plastic. If you are getting a coat of purple that is hard and dry you using too much and not working fast enough.

Now let's end this stupidity because all codes require primer for PVC and the reason tey do is because the manufacturer does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Now let's end this stupidity because all codes require primer for PVC and the reason tey do is because the manufacturer does.

Good luck on that. Once again stupid reigns supreme even after overwelming evidence in their face...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks