Why so many filters for drip zones

Users who are viewing this thread

marknohr

Reaction score
I see the recommended standard is to install a Y filter after each valve and then a pressure regulator 30psi after that. I get the valve needs the higher pressure but why not have a single filter before the supply manifold? There is no intention to turn multiple valves on at once and all the zones are drip.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It sounds like overkill. Maybe for micro drip irrigation with well water a filter maybe needed so the drippers (emitters) do not clog up where some wells produce sediments. Pressure reducers are also optional. Too much pressure the emitters can blow off or they just are squirting water out that the effect for the purpose of drip irrigation is lost. When I added a drip section of micro irrigation off of a 1/2" riser to water flower pots on a patio, the reducing to the microtube caused most of the pressure reduction. Pressure reduces can alway be added after the install to balance out the system.

When you get into 1/2" drip irrigation that are primary used in flower beds and shrubbery, they can really dump a lot of water and a PRV may be needed. Another solution is for that zone(s) yu only run it for 10 minutes or so. Enough to get the ground wet and let gravity do the rest.

blacks-dig-drip-irrigation-fittings-r67-64_100.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks