Why plumbers putty on base of toilet??

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flange should sit firmly on top of the finished flooring. BUT, if for whatever reason, it doesn't, you may need a thicker wax or to build up the flange. The flange cannot be too high, or you will not get the toilet to sit flush, either. That can't happen if it is installed properly.

Jeffreyhel

Reaction score
Here in NJ the code says where the toilet base meets the floor MUST be sealed. Grout and caulking are acceptable. The theory is that men are pigs and miss the toilet all the time and thus urine will end up under the toilet where it cannot be cleaned unless you pull the toilet. I have pulled up plenty of toilets that were not sealed and probably around 30-40% had urine stains or smells of it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Note, sealing around the base of the toilet and using plumber's putty on the flange are two different things. One is generally considered good, and the other is not. My unprofessional opinion.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
seal

I have reset many a toilet that was sealed with all kinds of calk on vinyl or ceramic. And there is usually smelly garbage under there. I've found that that seal or calk, comes away from one surface or the other. So now it's lost it's purpose.

Just one mans opinion, is its done for cosmetic reasons or to please some inspectors.

Also it's done to help level a toilet bowl.

I like to use my best judgement on an individual basis....

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
plumber1 said:
If you need more thickness, just reach down and pinch the seal to make it stand a little taller or take a second seal and slice off as much as you need.
You need some excess wax.............

Now this is one of those tips that needs to be put on a "sticky" at the top of the page..... In my opinion. When I installed my sister-in-law's Toto Dalton , I was surprised to find that the flange was just a little low. Anyway, the Toto did not "grab" as much of the wax seal as I expected. On mine the base of the Toto actually was up off the floor, resting on the wax ring. Had to just about sit on it to make it go down.

So, I did just what you suggested. I went around the wax ring on the flange and pinched the wax ring enough to raise it just a little. Everything went fine. Excellent tip.
Thanks, Tom :)

RBrown

Reaction score
Putty

plumber1 said:
Putty will do in a pinch.
But what plumber won't have wax rings on the truck?
I think that you were short changed.

My plumber likes to set toilets in putty because he feels it makes a better job. He says he's seen toilets that have been set in putty for over forty years. Like I said, so far so good.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I also have seen many toilets that were set with putty. Every call that was on a toilet set with putty was for a leak at the flange. Why am I not surprised. When the seasons change you get movement from changes in temp & humidity this makes wood, concrete, ceramic, Ect. expand and contract which = movement. Wax will move with these slight changes putty will not and can cause a leak.
/
As far as caulking the base of the toilet my area does not have a code or if they do they do not enforce it. Personally I would never caulk the base. In my area many homes are on crawl spaces and a caulked base will just trap a leak and sooner or later cause a lino stain, rot the floor or ruin a ceiling or all 3. In fact I had 1 customer call whos plumber had installed a new lino floor and toilet, she was calling because the lino was turning black from an incorectly set wax ring but no one knew the leak was there, because of the caulk, until it was to late. If the purpose is to prevent urine odor from a "missed shots" there are enzime cleaners that can be sprayed at and under the base that will eliminate the odor. I can't tell you how many caulked toilets I have pulled that have caused many $$$$$ worth of damage.
Just my $15.00 worth. (inflation has increased the $.02)

Last edited:

countryboy

Reaction score
plumbers putty for toilet seal

the offset toilet flange in my master bath is oblong in shape, I haven't been able to find any way to seal a toilet to it other than plumbers putty. It works fine until the wife knocks the shims out when cleaning. It usually lasts around five years (she cleans more than that)

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
putty

Yes, but 50 or 60 or so years ago the plumbers used a very different kind of putty that would set rock hard and hold the bowl down fast to the floor. A different animal.
Over the years I've known many a plumber and none would use putty for a setting seal.....

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
countryboy said:
the offset toilet flange in my master bath is oblong in shape, I haven't been able to find any way to seal a toilet to it other than plumbers putty. It works fine until the wife knocks the shims out when cleaning. It usually lasts around five years (she cleans more than that)

I understand that it is oblong. What I don't understand is why you can't take a wax ring and mold it to the shape of the oblong flange and then you are using wax and not putty.

bigrebnc1861

Plumber
Reaction score
I think that this question has been asked, but I will ask it any way, who uses plumbers putty on a toliet base? Plumbers putty made now is differant then what they had 40 to 50 years ago, it won't hold up because it dries out and will crack.

PJM

Reaction score
I guess the best way is to caulk or putty around the the base to block out any "misses" & help level BUT, leave a small gap in the back in case the wax ring leaks. I've read this on other websites too.

dripdripdrip

Reaction score
And since it has oil in it, it WILL STAIN the grout that it comes into contact with if you use it to line the base of the toilet (and can cause you to incorrectly think that you have a leak and pull up the toilet to redo the wax seal unnecessarily)!:mad:

Plumber's putty has oil in it, so if it is put on top of a wax seal, they will NOT bond together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks