Why open-ended seats?

Users who are viewing this thread

Macman

Reaction score
Here's a change-of-pace question. Why are commercial toilet seats open-ended, while home seats are a full closed loop? We've been trying to figure this out but haven't come up with anything. I know, I need to get a life. :D

Dave M.

MI-Roger

Reaction score
Sanitation codes....

Too many supposedly adult men pee on the seat, thus sanitation codes were written making open front seats madatory in public restrooms.

Aren't you glad you asked?

Macman

Reaction score
Haha...okay, I suppose that's true. Thanks for the answers. And yes, I'm glad I asked. It's been bugging me for a while.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
No, you are not weird or strange, just out of today's norm!

My dad taught me to always sit, so I have to wipe them first.

Have you ever seen footprints on a toilet seat?

I used to live in a park where some folks thought *that* was the sanitary way to use a public toilet!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Here's a change-of-pace question. Why are commercial toilet seats open-ended, while home seats are a full closed loop? We've been trying to figure this out but haven't come up with anything. I know, I need to get a life. :D

Dave M.

The generally accepted answer is to prevent certain hanging parts from contacting the front of the seat...

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Like the previous poster said, it's to prevent your private parts from coming into contact with the seat. An open ended seat will fit any elongated toilet for home or commercial. Illinois code doesn't mandate open ended seats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
No, you are not weird or strange, just out of today's norm!

My dad taught me to always sit, so I have to wipe them first.

Have you ever seen footprints on a toilet seat?

I used to live in a park where some folks thought *that* was the sanitary way to use a public toilet!

In some public bathrooms, it is the sanitary way. Either that, or carry a bottle of bleach in with you...

rett

Reaction score
Open ended seats and "hovering"

I, too have wondered about the open front seat. As it happens, an additonal function they serve when installed in a well designed outhouse or "Dry" Urine Diverting Toilet is to allow a small aperture for clean air to be sucked down the toilet riser by the pressure created by air moving through the larger diameter vent pipe. But I realize this is a forum on toilets that employ water.

More suprising and frankly, disheartening, is the apparent prevalence of "hovering" in public toilets by women, either straddling the bowl or standing on the seat or bowl rim in order to avoid contact with the seat. This obviously makes for more mess in public restrooms which only increases the degree to which the next people treat the facility with disregard and encourages further "hovering".

I learned about "hovering" when interviewing a college student who was a member of Engineers without Borders, and we were discussing the challenges they faced installing rural sanitation in Africa. She confessed that she and every woman she knew "hovered". When pressed, and mind you, this is a senior in college studying in science, she said she was concerned about STD's. Some notions die hard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks