Why is loop venting generally prohibited?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sproutnik

Reaction score
After running into the problem of how to vent my yurt without roof or side-wall penetrations, I realized that a loop vent would appear to solve all of my problems by allowing me to run a vent under the floor and up the exterior side of my yurt wall. However, loop venting under the IPC is limited in use to sinks. This got me curious!

Anyone know the history/rationale behind the usage of loop venting becoming so limited in scope?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Anyone know the history/rationale behind the usage of loop venting becoming so limited in scope?

For kitchens on an island where a vent can't go straight up, they came up with the island loop venting, which still incorporates a vent through the roof, but in a location further away. That vent has a cleanout to make sure it can be cleared of sludge.

index.php

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You CAN"T install a loop vent entirely under the floor, because the "loop" feature STILL has to be as high ABOVE the floor as possible, usually at least to the bottom of a 36" counter top.

Sproutnik

Reaction score
You CAN"T install a loop vent entirely under the floor, because the "loop" feature STILL has to be as high ABOVE the floor as possible, usually at least to the bottom of a 36" counter top.

I understand this. For me, the desired feature of the loop vent is that it connects to the "foot vent" that runs under the joists to a vertical vent, which could run up along the outside of the exterior wall, since on my yurt I cannot penetrate the wall or the roof.

However, my question was driven by curiosity, and still stands unanswered -- why are these only allowed on islands? Reading code from the 1960's, it appears that they used to permitted in far more applications where there was no direct access to the vertical vent except running horizontally under the floor.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Notice they require a CO under the trap. DUHHHHHHHHH

Suppose there is a stoppage just beyond the combination fitting wye 1/8 ben and grease flows up up the vent pipe above the LTTY then how is is supposed to be cleaned?

This would of course would render the vent totally useless

I would think the vent line should require a CO as the trap is already allowing access to the waste line

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have used the "loop vent", ( we called it a "yoke vent", like the ones they use for cows when milking), when the sink is under a window that is between two beams with no possibility of drilling through them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks