Why I lost pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

ap

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
and got a big hydro bill. Hope this photo loads ok. This pump was pulled from my cottage well at depth of 150 ft. Its a Meyers approx ten years old .

background: I need to keep a little heat in the cottage in the winter and the boiler ‘might’ call for water so the pump stays on. In the fall when I locked up I noticed the water tank pressure was low and the pump could only deliver about 15 psi so I figured I had a problem but no time to deal with it then... so I lowered the pressure switch and left it till I returned a few days ago .... after I got a $195 dollar electric bill for July!!!

When I returned to the cottage there was no pressure at all and the pressure switch was ‘On’ ...The hole by the clamps is the reason!!!

I have no idea how many weeks or months this pump was running non stop.... but enough to consume a lot of juice. AND it still runs!!

There’s a new pump going back down and this one will find itself in a shallow cistern where replacement will be simpler if necessary ..... and a BRASS fitting will go on the new one instead of the galvanized one that has virtually disintegrated.

There is evidence of a lot of iron ‘bloom’ in the well but interestingly enough it seems to only extend to about 20ft below the static level.

Attachments

• 274E046D-E6F0-4BA4-B762-4B7FB0D118D4.jpeg
    274E046D-E6F0-4BA4-B762-4B7FB0D118D4.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 177

Reach4

Reaction score
There’s a new pump going back down and this one will find itself in a shallow cistern where replacement will be simpler if necessary ..... and a BRASS fitting will go on the new one instead of the galvanized one that has virtually disintegrated.
What is going to get the water into the cistern?

A submersible pump in a cistern should have a flow inducer sleeve to keep water flowing by the motor to keep that cooler.

ap

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
What is going to get the water into the cistern?

A submersible pump in a cistern should have a flow inducer sleeve to keep water flowing by the motor to keep that cooler.

Thanks I did not know that and will do so reading. As for water in the cistern - currently a truck delivers 2200 gallons into the 5000 gal cistern at the farm periodically. At that location a ‘jet pump’ in the basement brings water into the farmhouse from the cistern ... that pump is annoyingly noisy when it runs.

A neighbour with the same water supply arrangement got tired of the noise and put a submerged pump in his cistern ..... I thought I might try the same thing using this (well broken in) Meyers... your advice and guidance is very welcome

(Valveman ... you will be pleased to know that I picked up a fresh roll of tape when I was in town - 40 minutes away —- although I did not know that that could have solved this problem. The well expert helping me empty my bank account says he is going to use brass fittings on the new pump .... should they be wrapped too? Thanks!)

ap

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Reach4 .... I didn't mean to mislead you ... the well is at my cottage. The cistern is is used at my farm. The water available to a drilled well at the farm is apparently quite brackish and unsuitable for domestic (or farm) use - this according to the local residents who have lived in the area for several generations

Btw - thanks for the diagram and the link!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks