Why doesn't this 3/8" COMP tee have a washer in it? And should you use thread tape?

Users who are viewing this thread

ngmtl

Reaction score
I purchased this 3/8" COMP Dual Outlet Tee:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-Lead-Free-Add-A-Tee-Adapter-3-8-in-x-3-8-in-x-3-8-in/1000276665

Questions:

1. Why doesn't the female connector on the tee have a washer in it?
2. Since there is no washer, do I need to use thread tape to make a seal or will that be counterproductive?

Normally (Single Faucet):

Faucet
|| 1/2" FIP Male
|| 1/2" FIP Female
|
| Supply Line
|
|| 3/8" Female COMP (has a washer in it - don't use thread tape)
|| 3/8" Male COMP
Shutoff

With Tee (For Dual Faucets)
Note: Some codes require a separate shutoff for each sink. But that's beside the question here.

Faucet x 2
|| 1/2" FIP Male x 2
|| 1/2" FIP Female x 2
|
| Supply Line x 2
|
|| 3/8" Female COMP (has a washer in it - don't use thread tape) x 2
|| 3/8" Male COMP x 2
T Dual Outlet T
|| 3/8" Female COMP (no washer! - does it need thread tape?)
|| 3/8" Male COMP
Shutoff

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No tape is need on those. Tape does nothing for those, but it can cause a leak by a strand not allowing full contact where the surfaces meet. You can always tell a handyman install when you see the tape. Plumbers don't use tape there.

A braided stainless supply line that is 1/2" FIP x 3/8" comp has seals on both ends. Nothing more is needed.

ngmtl

Reaction score
Thanks!, I also confirmed with Keeny today that their compression tee, despite lacking a washer, is supposed to form a compression seal, metal to metal without thread tape. And to be clear, they also agree that thread tape is counterproductive here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks