Why does the shower faucet keep dripping?

Users who are viewing this thread

ariel

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and wanted to get some advise.
My parents shower keeps dripping but from the tub faucet. I changed the o rings and springs on his Delta cartridge and it kept leaking.
I later decided to get a brand new cartridge and the leak is much, much less now but still it keeps dripping a tiny amount every 5 seconds or so. When turned OFF I hear no water flow but still drips from the tub faucet.
Can someone please give me any ideas as to why it still drips some?

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When you replaced a cartridge did you flush the lines to make sure here is no sediment?

ariel

Reaction score
When you replaced a cartridge did you flush the lines to make sure here is no sediment?
I used a Q tip and cleaned around to make sure there was no sediments but it was clean. I also had water flow out for a min before I placed the cartridge.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the valve body is scratched, the seals can leak...they require a smooth surface. If you don't have the seals installed properly, they can leak. You can tear one if there are any sharp edges, or they get pinched during the install. They may or may not have any plumber's grease on them...some silicon grease will make the valve turn smoother and lengthen the life of the seals.

As was asked, if there's any debris in the lines and you don't flush it out first, that can lead to scoring of the valve body, and potentially damage to the seals.

ariel

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I went by my parents house today and not a drop of water while off. I think I got ahead of myself. The reason it kept dripping could be because of the remaining water that was in the pipe from dripping for a couple of days. All good now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks