Why does a toilet "burp"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its not completely blocked solid . my experiance toilets dont burp unless there is a drainage issue of some sort. once a month a burp dosent scare me but sure makes me curious as to why as well

Reach4

Reaction score
This would be a venting problem. People often suspect a venting problem when it is not, but this one has to be related to venting.

It does not have to be an obstruction in an actual vent pipe, but I think something is preventing the air passage between the toilet drain and the roof vent. Could this be that the float switch in the yard sewer basin sometimes is slow, letting the water rise and a path gets submerged?

I am not a plumber. This is an interesting symptom.

I am not sure what to do about it. If you don't get smells, maybe live with it unless the symptom gets worse. Maybe get a camera study?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks