Why do I still see some white spots after Softening?

Users who are viewing this thread

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
I have well water. Goes through a Katalox tank and then to a Catalytic Carbon Tank to a Kinetico Softener. When I test my water with a Hach test kit its perfect. I fill the vial with test water and drop the powder in it, the water turns immediately blue.. That supposedly indicates perfectly soft water right?

So why do I still see cloudy white spots on my Oil Rubbed Bronze fixtures?
They do seem to wipe right off but.. I thought there should be no residue. Would a filter after the softener fix this?

Reach4

Reaction score
Softening is ion exchange, changing magnesium and calcium compounds (not so soluble) to sodium compounds ( including regular salt). So what you observe is normal.

The only filters that would make the water dry fairly spotless are deionization or reverse osmosis (RO).

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Softening is ion exchange, changing magnesium and calcium compounds (not so soluble) to sodium compounds ( including regular salt). So what you observe is normal.

The only filters that would make the water dry fairly spotless are deionization or reverse osmosis (RO).
I should but dont have much water chemistry knowlege, any idea if an old water heater would contribute?

Bannerman

Reaction score
any idea if an old water heater would contribute?
Hardness Scale that was accumulating within the WH prior to installing the softener, will now slowly be dissolved into the softened water. This will often cause the hot water to test higher in hardness than the cold for some time. Depending on the quantity, the scale may all be eliminated within weeks, or may require a few years before it is fully dissolved away.

As stated, a softener removes hardness ions (mainly calcium and magnesium), exchanging them for sodium ions (sodium is not salt (Sodium Chloride)). The sodium that is dissolved within the soft water will remain as residue on the surface after the water has evaporated and the surface is dry. As you have found, sodium is much easier to wipe away compared to calcium and Magnesium residue.

To prevent spotting, usually requires using a towel to dry off the surface after each use. Some find periodically installing a layer of water repellant such as RainX on their fixtures, is effective to prevent water spots.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Hardness Scale that was accumulating within the WH prior to installing the softener, will now slowly be dissolved into the softened water. This will often cause the hot water to test higher in hardness than the cold for some time. Depending on the quantity, the scale may all be eliminated within weeks, or may require a few years before it is fully dissolved away.

As stated, a softener removes hardness ions (mainly calcium and magnesium), exchanging them for sodium ions (sodium is not salt (Sodium Chloride)). The sodium that is dissolved within the soft water will remain as residue on the surface after the water has evaporated and the surface is dry. As you have found, sodium is much easier to wipe away compared to calcium and Magnesium residue.

To prevent spotting, usually requires using a towel to dry off the surface after each use. Some find periodically installing a layer of water repellant such as RainX on their fixtures, is effective to prevent water spots.
Thanks for the clarification.. My OCD cannot handle spots on the kitchen Stainless Steel sink.. Going to have to find a color to match the spots.. LMAO

Reach4

Reaction score
You could wipe down the sink after use, but yes, white porcelain should not show white spots.

I expect both your hot and cold water to leave waterspots. Time to experiment.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks