Why do I kept losing one phase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Williambruce

Reaction score
I recently installed a 200 amp electrical service. The lights would dim on occasion which I just assumed was a faulty breaker. The other day, my lights went out along with a couple other circuits. I realized they were all on the black phase and switched them to red and everything worked. Today I tried testing voltage and found that there was voltage before the main breaker. I switched things back to the black phase and everything worked for about a half hour. After that, the lights went back out and I verified at that point, that I had no voltage above the main. Should I call an electrician, or my electric company?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Based on your description, The problem could be at the meter, the weatherhead connection, or out at the pole. Where I live, this is a power company issue, and they don't charge anything to check it out.

Williambruce

Reaction score
That's what I thought.....just wanted to make sure it wasn't something on my end and I'd end up getting charged for a service visit

Reaction score
Around here I'd be calling the power company.

There is a small chance that it is something you will need to have an electrician repair. But if so, the power co is just going to tell you so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks