Why do I have two water tanks?

Users who are viewing this thread

mike_luff

Reaction score
I recently have been having water pressure issues when I use water in more than one location in the house. I noticed that there are two water tanks attached to my plumbing. One is attached connected to the line from the pump and the other is connected to the first tank. The second tanks is always empty. It sounds hollow when I tap it and I can move it back and forth with ease. I do recall seeing condensation on this tank in Spring which would lead me to believe it use to fill with water. What is this tank used for and why would it be empty? Could it be the reason I am having water pressure problems now?

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by water pressure problems. Is the pressure low, does it pulsate or is it too high?

If the tank that seems empty is painted, chances are it's a Bladder Tank and it will not have much water in it even when working properly. If you want to learn a lot about bladder tanks, read my FAQ's about them. It will save me a lot of typing.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedbump

Reaction score
In that case, you can almost bet that tank is shot.

Do you know what kind of pump you have or anything else about it? Like horsepower, submersible or jet?

bob...

mike_luff

Reaction score
I don't know much about the pump other than it is a submersible. The interesting thing is that the tank that the pressure gauge is connected to seems to be working just fine. Pump kicks in a 30 PSI and cuts out at 50 PSI. I do not lose pressure when water is not in use nor does it short cycle. When the pump kicks in it takes about 45-60 seconds before it cuts out. The tank that is connected along side this first tanks is a Traditional Well Mate air/water tank, HP series. (http://www.wellmate.com/products_trad.htm). This tanks has very little water in it. I can actually shake it and hear a little water splashing around in the bottom. My guess is that this is the tank that is shot and the cause of my water pressure loss. Any thoughts?

Mike

Speedbump

Reaction score
Even though my experience with Well Mate tanks tells me that most of them out there are shot, if you can move it easily, it's not shot. That is how bladder tanks work. Lots of air and not much water.

bob...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

IF the tank is connected to the system properly, but does not have water in it, then its air pressure charge is probably close to, or higher, than the operating pressure so water can be forced into the tank. Drain the system and then check its air pressure. It should be the same as the other one, AND both should be less than the pump's turn on pressure.

mike_luff

Reaction score
I drained the system and everything seems to be properly functioning with both tanks. After I turned the pump back on and everything had filled up again, I turned water on at a faucet that is closest to the tanks (is a water faucet for the outside that is connected before my water filter/soften system). Water seemed to flow just fine without losing pressure. When I turned water on in a basement washroom it was fine a first and then started to lose pressure as before. If I flush the toilet and turn the faucet on then I get very little water...just as before. So I am thinking I have a clog or the water filter system needs to be flushed or something.

...thoughts

Mike

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If the filter is a disposable cartridge type, remove the cartridge. If it is a backwashed or regenerated filter, bypass it. Try the flow. If no improvement, by pass the softener and try the flow. If the filter or softener is the cause, do a manual backwash or regeneration of each. If it is the disposable cartridge, throw it away and don't replace it.

mike_luff

Reaction score
I tried the bypass but there was no improvement in the water pressure. When I turned on a faucet it was normal and then faded again as usual. I guess it is a clog, right?

There is one faucet (it is outside) that is connected to the water line before the water filter system; the pressure seems fine at that faucet. From what I can tell it is one line of the plastic (pex) piping from that faucet to the water filter system. I guess the clog would be in that line, would it not? Should I disconnect the water filter connection and see what the inside of the pipe is like?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
How about a lot more detail like exactly what you did and in what order and the results.

I do not believe you have any clog, but go look if you want to.

When you say pressure, do you mean the psi on a gauge reduces or the gpm of the water flow decreases?

Do you have a disposable cartridge type filter? If so, did you remove the cartridge?

mike_luff

Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of details in the last post. Here is some finer details...
When I turn water on at any faucet in the house it seems to flow at a normal flow (I think i may been using the term pressure incorrectly). When I leave the water running the flow slows to a low rate - a trickle. If I use water in more than one place I lose water completely at one faucet. To try and determine problem I drained the water lines by turning off the switch to the pump and opening up the faucet that is connected near the water tank and the faucets in the house. After the water was all drained I tried to check both PSI of each water tank that is connected to my water system. The first tank that is connected to the pump was fine at 28 PSI. I was unable to get a reading of the second tank - I'm not sure why I was not able to get a reading. I turned the pump back on and both tanks began to fill. The pump cut out when the PSI gauge was at 50 PSI. I then turned water on at the faucet in front of the water tank and water was quite forceful. I turned water on at a faucet outside that is connected to the water line before the water filter system and the water seem to flow at a consistent rate. When I turn water on at a faucet that is connected after the water filter, the flow would be fine at first and then reduce to a poor flow just as before...which lead me to believe the was a clog before the water filter. I did a bypass of the water filer and had the same results as before...poor flow.

That pretty much is what I have done so far.

Mike

p.s. I've attached picture of the tanks if it matters.

Attachments

• 100_2493.jpg
    100_2493.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,444
  • 100_2494.jpg
    100_2494.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,108
Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
What is that Grey gadget with the orange top in front of the Well X Trol tank?

I would be very suspicious of anything that doesn't look like it belongs there. And it looks a lot like that. If that is what I think it is, it will slow the movement of water into both tanks by about 80 percent trying to inject air into the system to make the "what I assume is a Culligan Iron Filter" work. Very poor technology.

bob...

mike_luff

Reaction score
I have no idea what the grey gadget is. But here is a picture...
There are degree markings around the edge. Starting at the 3 o'clock mark says CLOSED, then moving clockwise it reads, 75,60,45,30,15,OPEN,15,30,45,60,75,CLOSED. It currently is pointing to 60 degree mark.

Bob - are you suggesting that this is what injects air into the water line in order for the water filter to function properly? Would this be causing the gradual loss of water flow throughout the house?

Attachments

• 100_2499.jpg
    100_2499.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
Yup, that's what I'm suggesting. These are nothing more than a nozzle and venturi that draws air into the water stream as the pump moves water through the device. Problem is, the nozzle is about the size of a pencil lead. That's what all the water going to your tank has to go through. Even though the feed line is one inch.

We use an Air Pump to do this and it doesn't do anything to restrict the flow to your tank or your house. It simply injects air.

bob...

mike_luff

Reaction score
So, that being said, I'm a little confused as to why my water flow has gradually slowed. It was fine 6 months ago, but steadily slowed. Is there an explanation for this?

Should I remove this device...but at what cost to the water filter? Does anyone have a solution to solve my problem with the existing plumbing technology I currently am using?

Speedbump

Reaction score
I am assuming that device is part of the Culligan unit. I'm not sure. If the Culligan unit is an iron filter and no other oxidizers are being used. That is probably part of it. You could use chlorine (which I don't recommend) or air with an air pump. If the unit had a way of drawing potassium permangenate, you could use that.

bob...

mike_luff

Reaction score
I guess I'll have to get someone in to size it all up. Thanks to everyone for their help. I certianly learned a lot from this forum. If anyone else has anything to add to Bob's comments, please post them.

Thanks again.

Mike

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks