Why do I have two water tanks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You have an air injection system and the gray thing is the injector. The oxidation of any iron, manganese and H2S etc. in the water starts as soon as the air hits the water. The line from the gray injector to the blue tank is probably mostly blocked all but closed by rust.

They reduced the 1" from the well and pressure tank to 3/4" from the pressure tank tee all teh way to the filter. That is probably all but blocked solid. It should have been 1" all the way to the filter. And the filter should be by the retention tank.

I don't see where there is a vent to get rid of excess air, but then the top of the retention tank is not shown, adn it should be on it there.

The blue tank is your pressure tank and the tan one is supposed to be a retention tank to provide proper contact time for the air to oxidize all the iron etc. in your water. There should be very little to no air in it. Then the water goes to the filter which is supposed to clarify the water by filtering all the visible 'dirt' out of the water.

If the filter gets loaded up with dirt, which it probably is because of the pipe being blocked up, it can't/doesn't get enough water to backwash the dirt out of itself and the filter mineral clogs up reducing water flow through it and decreased gpm while the water quality declines. In many cases the only cure is to replace the mineral.

In this case I might suggest replacing the system with a different type of 'filtration system'.

mike_luff

Reaction score
Thanks Gary.

I think your diagnosis seems spot on. It makes total sense to me now. I guess I will have to have someone come in and do things right. Thanks again for the insights!

Mike

mike_luff

Reaction score
You were dead on!

You guys were dead on in diagnosing my low water flow problem. Check out the picture of a piece of piping that was removed from the line between my tank and filter.

I now have a new water treatment system that does not use an air injector or second tank. It is a Greensand filtering system. My water pressue is now fantastic.

Many thanks to Bob and Gary for getting me on the right track!

Mike

Attachments

• 100_2518.jpg
    100_2518.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 333
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks