Why do I have a high voltage wire here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hands007

Reaction score
I have a 4 zone system and all of the zones are wired with two wires to the thermostats. This is a heat only system, gas boiler with hot water radiators. One of the zones has a much thicker wire to the thermostat and was wired to a high voltage thermostat. Can you think of a reason why this should be a high voltage wire but not a high voltage system?

This is a a large house that was illegally converted to and SRO and back so there is a lot of questionable work being removed.
The zone valve is the same as all of the others. I suspect they just had some wire lying around or had electric baseboards in the basement at one time and replaced them with hot water radiators. The wire would be too thick to go into a standard low voltage thermostat.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some low-voltage controls have an end switch that can be used to turn a circulator on, and that may be 120vac...that would have required thicker wires than used for a thermostat. Hard to tell without seeing the whole picture or some history.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks