Why did my basement flooded? What could I do to prevent this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Paulsiu

Reaction score
Recently, a really large storm hit Illinois. About 6.9 inch of rain fall in a day. There haven't been this much rain since the 1870's. . As a result, I got water seeping from the sump pump into the basement even when it's working. This has never happened before since the house was build in 92. The neighbor had the same problem. They said the plumber indicate their sump pump is working fine, but it was too much water for the sump pump to eject.

What is the root cause of this? The system has a sump pump with battery backup that dumps water into a corrugated pipe in the ground. I have no idea where the pipe leads to, and I can't find an outlet. I am thinking that it's some sort of french drain where the water flows out along a gravel filled trench.

My father-in-law things it's because the french drain does not carry water far enough away from the foundation, resulting in recycling. He thinks the water should be carry further downhill beyond the retaining wall.

The other possibility is that my sump pump is not running at optimal load or that I need a sump pump that ejects more water?

Paul

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I think that the ground is saturated and you just had to much rain for the sump pump to handle. If the sump pump pumps into a french drain, it could be saturated and not taking water. Your father-in-law could be right as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks