Why can't a TPR Valve drain pipe be threaded on outlet end?

Users who are viewing this thread

ShelzMike

Reaction score
I was reading the code on hot water heaters and saw that one of the TPR requirements is that the outlet end can't be threaded and I can't think of any reason why that's a problem. I mean, it's not a big deal, posting more point of curiosity of reasoning.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The fitting itself is threaded so that you can add pipe to it.
If they say the relief line can't have threads on the end, I get that. Plugging a T&P on a water heater can be very bad. In Seattle someone capped off a T&P that had been leaking and the water heater blew through the roof of the home and landed in the street a block away.

ShelzMike

Reaction score
I figured it was one of those "people really can be idiots so we must protect them from themselves" type of requirement. I was thinking it was probably because if someone saw it was threaded they'd assume it can be capped. Makes sense I guess.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks