Why are TOTO tank lids so different/weird?

Users who are viewing this thread

Trouthead

Reaction score
I have two Totos, an Aimes and a UltramaxII. Both are working fine, and only once in a while need an extra flush or the handle held down longer. The extra height was a life saver with my wife's new total knee joint replacement. I knew when I bought them that the tank tops are "different" than the lifetime familiar American toilet tank tops. The Aimes is better with a flat surface, but the overlap of the lid over the tank is poor/different. It is however flat. I can't remember the last time I went in a household bathroom and didn't see something like kleenex or other items sitting on the toilet top.

The Ultramax II tilts for what I can see no discernable reason other than design. Just curious if anyone has any insight into why Toto goes against the grain with their lid design. Consider that I haven't bought any other toilets since 1980 and the American companies might have also done as Toto. Just wonder why, and had time on my hands to post. And so far I have not lost an item into the toilet due to the Ultramax II angled top, but it is only a matter of time.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I stack things on the Ultramax II lid and so far it's been fine. No hard or glossy stuff though. Okay, I'll say it. Extra TP rolls.

Trouthead

Reaction score
I have a radio on the Ultramax and it has rubber feet so I think I am safe. It is my only Toto complaint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks