Whole room electrical on off wall switch

Users who are viewing this thread

C tone

Reaction score
I am putting everything in a room on one dedicated circuit and would like to be able to turn off the circuit with a wall switch in the room, any suggestions on how this can be done?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Wiring all the receptacles in a room to a single switch does not seem like a good idea at all, but it would not be the first thing I have seen done without foresight.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you're going to be turning a heavily loaded circuit on and off frequently while things are still powered up, I'd select a heavy duty commercial grade wall switch verses the cheapest one in the line, and maybe choose one rated for 20A if it were a 15A circuit - it should last longer. But, it's no different wiring it up than any other switched circuit.

JerryR

Reaction score
If running new wiring I would NOT run 14-2 w/ ground but I would run 14-3 w/ground (15 amp) or 12-3 w/ground (20 amp). That way if you decide later to make just some receptacles switchable and others always hot you can do it.

C tone

Reaction score
I'm wiring using 20/2 MC cable. So, it sounds like I just put a switch on the 20/2 cable before any outlet and wire the switch as normal.

C tone

Reaction score
I bet it is control the electric and magnetic fields associated with power in one of the bedrooms.

This is correct. I meant 12/2 wire, sorry for the mistake. Decided not to do the on/off switch, as apparently having everything in MC
cable should do the job.

C tone

Reaction score
How does using MC cable equate to not needing an on/off switch for whatever you had in mind?

Supposedly, the metal casing should block the AC electric field - on/off switch was supposed to accomplish the same thing. I'll find
out if casing is effective.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Supposedly, the metal casing should block the AC electric field - on/off switch was supposed to accomplish the same thing. I'll find
out if casing is effective.

I honestly hope you are not suggesting that shutting power to just one room, or using shielded cable, will somehow "protect" you from anything.

The only way to keep you safe from these "demons" is to NOT have electricity in your home. Period, end of story.
Or own a cell phone. Or go near ANY built-up or commercial area. Or visit anyone else's home. Or go out in the sun. Or go anywhere near the earth.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Ease up good man. The fellow wants some MC wiring in his bedroom. What does that cost you?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks