Whole House Water Softener + Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

hamza07

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope to get help from the experts pertaining to the questions at hand.

We have been renovating our house for years now. We are now finally done with everything but the water system. In the past ten years, we have gone through 2 hot water boilers. One of which actually cracked in about 5/6 years of use flooding our finished basement only to raise questions of why? I have started seeing corrosion and rust forming on the current tank along with on some of the fittings. I have been trying to educate myself as much as I can with the help of this forum.

To be honest, I am very confused. The more I read the more question arise.

Questions:

-Would like to do a whole house filtration system along with a water softener system. I have been seeing genesis pop up a lot but now after reading a lot of threads, I see Fleck and Clack as highly recommended. I got a copy of the report from the water company which I will attach but it is as if I am reading a different language. I also did a test strip for water hardness and it came up as 14 dHG, 15 gpg, 250 ppm

Do not want to compromise any water pressure and would like to minimize maintenance as much as possible. I tried to be as detailed as I could. I want to gather all the equipment and understand how everything should be installed before reaching out to a plumber. In my experience, I would rather be educated on the subject at hand vs relying on people coming in to sell stuff.

Thank you in advance for all of your help. I apologize if some or all of this has been discussed. I would like to customize a full system with up to date components.

Detailed info:

-The house has 2 and a half bathrooms and a laundry room. The master (first) bathroom has a jacuzzi tub along with a multiway shower and rain can. The second bathroom has a multi setup as well for a rain can and body jets. The half bathroom is just a toilet and hand sink.

-baseboard heating

-approximately 2000 square feet (basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor, finished attic)

-Bergen County New Jersey

-5/6 occupants for the most part

-3/4” Pex main water inlet

-all Pex piping throughout the house

-watts recirculation pump (analog)

-natural gas

Just purchased the AO Smith XCRT-50 water heater and a very old cast iron boiler for the baseboard heating with 5 zones.

We plan on keeping this house indefinitely so I would like the best equipment for the job but definitely not the most expensive.

Link to the water report:
https://www.mysuezwater.com/sites/default/files/NJCCR2019.pdf

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Can you post pictures of your installation location. The unit you mentioned is one most would highly recommend avoiding... stick with Fleck or Clack for sure.

hamza07

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Here are the pictures:

Not shown is the AO Smith Hot water Heater that isn’t installed yet. Trying to figure out what to do for baseboard heating and the water softener/filtration setup first

Attachments

• D2599C1B-11DF-4D7B-BBD3-91E61B3CDD17.jpeg
    D2599C1B-11DF-4D7B-BBD3-91E61B3CDD17.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 168
  • F724B84B-8138-44C7-B8DC-011EC79625AC.jpeg
    F724B84B-8138-44C7-B8DC-011EC79625AC.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 165
  • DDF54A4C-29C7-47D3-9293-DA79150B7302.jpeg
    DDF54A4C-29C7-47D3-9293-DA79150B7302.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 558893AB-EDDB-445A-A83E-2A0A68FB1764.jpeg
    558893AB-EDDB-445A-A83E-2A0A68FB1764.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 183
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks