Whole house water filters

Users who are viewing this thread

tknx

Reaction score
My wife was interested in chloramine reduction and just not dealing with separate filters everywhere we might drink water. We don't need softening (but this forum seemed to be the closest). We are located in Oakland, California if that is at all helpful.

We were looking at two different systems at US Water Supplies (but we aren't attached to them in particular):

1. Matrix Catalytic Carbon, and
2. Bodyguard Plus system.

I was reading through threads here, and it seems that instead of using a regular sediment filter, an Atlas Hydra might be a better initial filter with lower upkeep costs?

Any thoughts on what an ideal setup under $2K would be?

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Systems utilizing Fleck or Clack control valves are always recommended on this forum. None of the 3 systems you provide links to utilize a Fleck or Clack control valve, and #3 shows only a basic In/Out tank head that will not allow backwashing.

Are you planning to install the system yourself or hire someone? Suggest discussing your requirements with general (non-proprietary) water treatment dealers local to your area.

tknx

Reaction score
Thanks bannerman. I didn't notice that the third one was not a backwash one and removed it. The valves on theirs are some proprietary one they call the Matrixx - made in the US, so probably someone known.

I am planning on having a plumber put it in. He doesn't do that many filters, so I wanted to do a bit of research. Our Oakland California water report is here.

I guess there is Apec which seems to use Clack:
https://www.freedrinkingwater.com/wts-max-20.htm/

I reached out to Clack to see who would be a local system installer. But would prefer something a bit more turnkey.

Last edited:

Old

Reaction score
It looks like the matrixxxxxxx is made by CSI water. I think it's a fleck 5000 valve body with a proprietary controller.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I know a plumbing supply house fairly close to you that stocks catalytic carbon backwashing systems. For you water, the use of a pre-filter is likely not needed. The backwashing carbon will do a great job of keeping itself clean. The water in your area can have a fair bit of sediment especially if you rely on the Hetch Hetchy reservoir. This water can be very low TDS, but also very high in silt/sediment. In general, a backwashing carbon is self cleaning and we have had great success with this in your area. Pre-filters tend to foul quickly and require regular replacement.

Here is a great picture I received last week from the San Fran area. This filter system was only installed for 6 hours and the pre0filter on the right started out as a pristine white. This is what it looked like. This is unusually bad for this area and after a week, the municipal water supply was no longer fouling filters in a few days.
dirty 6 hour.jpg

clip_image003.png

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks