Whole house filter DIY dumb question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Miles McCoy

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post and my first plumbing project. I’m using PEX to install an ISpring 2 stage whole house filter. Access to my copper pipe is in the crawl space. I need to build a mount to attach my filter to. My original plan was to position the filter so that water flow would remain in a straight line like it already is and to have my bypass line go above or below the filter.. But with the amount of space I have it would be easier to have my bypass line be in a straight line and my filter to be below that straight line so that everyday water flow will now have to take an extra 4 90 degree turns to get through the filter and back to the original water line. Will this effect my water pressure? Will this potentially cause leaks? Thank you for your time!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Barely, for each 90* bend for 3/4” copper is equivalent to about 2 ft of pipe. This is a good chart. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/equivalent-length-copper-pipe-fittings-d_1670.html. However, PEX fittings are far worse since the inside diameter is about half the inside diameter of the PEX pipe. If you are worried about pressure use sharkbite fittings for PEX if you do not know how to solder copper.

PEX fitting ps go on the inside of the pipe. Copper fittings and Shark Bite fit over the outside of the pipe.

FYI... these small Carbon filters sold by the millions for 30 years will only last a month or so but the sediment filter will last longer. On the carbon label it should give a gallon use rating. Generally around 3000 gallon of water to meet the numbers of the chemical removal list. Your water bill will show the monthly usage.

Miles McCoy

Reaction score
ok great! I am using sharkbit to go from 3/4” copper to 1” pex so maybe it won’t be so bad. I took a look at my carbon filter and it says 100,000 gallon capacity so hopfuly it last a little longer than a month.. I’m installing the ISpring WGB22B model can be found online if anyone wanted to know .

Last edited by a moderator:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
ok great! I am using sharkbit to go from 3/4” copper to 1” pex so maybe it won’t be so bad. I took a look at my carbon filter and it says 100,000 gallon capacity so hopfuly it last a little longer than a month.. I’m installing the ISpring WGB22B model can be found on amazon if anyone wanted to know .

The typical 12" x 2.5" size with low density carbon are about 300 gallons. Your model is a big 20". Water use per month for two you'd be in the 2-3 gallon range. A few kids and you're near the 5K per month.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks