Whole house fan

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Now, come on people, man up, you only need a small fan in the livingroom, and one in the bedroom. Sweating is good for you, it eliminates all kinds of bad things through your pores. :)

Very True.

Many Men are a bunch of wimps.

I like to work up a Sweat, then turn the fan on.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Well Jimbo, then all I can say now, is I guess I cannot afford it:D. Although the real estate market is down, it is down pretty much across the board. A house here that went for 425K or so 4 years ago will fetch only 325K now. How are real Estate taxes there? I pay just under $8K/year here in a blue collar neighborhood. disgusting, as I haven't had any kids in school since '86 and school taxes make up more than 70% of my taxes. Ah, what do I want for nothing??

The 425 houses here now are bank owned and get [rarely] 225....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
. How are real Estate taxes there? I pay just under $8K/year here in a blue collar neighborhood. disgusting, as I haven't had any kids in school since '86 and school taxes make up more than 70% of my taxes. Ah, what do I want for nothing??

Aaahhhhh TAXES. Well, we have a great loophole here, which is the Prop. 13 law enacted about 30 years ago. Your property tax is 1% of what you pay for the house. That amount can be incremented by a maximum of 2% each year ( 2% of the 1%) and otherwise never changes as long as you own the house. I paid 72K for my little condo in 1990. Value has been as high as $280K during the boom, and probably $140 K today. Luckily, I simply paid it off, rather than sucking equity out of it during the boom! Anyway, my taxes today are about $1100 per year. They crept up, we lowered during the crashes, then restored to where they are now!

So, a very big disincentive to buying high priced houses is that you will have a big tax bill on top of the mortgage. A $550K house would have $5500 per year in taxes. Then gas is $4.45 for regular, etc! But we don't have to own chains or winter clothes!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks