whoa whoa whoa! Random Refills

Users who are viewing this thread

Neotonic

Reaction score
I have this 1997 Sterling Windham, i replaced the insides [fill valve, chain, and flapper] and it seemed to work fine for 1 day, then all of a sudden i noticed the water would randomly turn on and off. I dont get why it is doing this because i replaced the flapper valve and aligned it. What is going on?
I put a Korky Premium Flapper, and a Fluidmaster 400A inside

sterling_windham_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
something is wrong with the flapper...but then you knew that

sterling_windham_4.jpg

Sterling has it's own flapper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes the flapper valves end up warped if they are loose in the package and get compressed. Not as common is a defect or chip or rough surface where the flapper seats. Rub your finger around that to see if it is smooth. Make sure the slack in the chain isn't too great and it is getting caught underneath the flapper or that it isn't too tight, and if slightly askew, it holds it up. Finally, make sure there isn't enough slop in the flapper movement that it gets caught against something like the overflow tube or something else in the tank.

Neotonic

Reaction score
Sometimes the flapper valves end up warped if they are loose in the package and get compressed. Not as common is a defect or chip or rough surface where the flapper seats. Rub your finger around that to see if it is smooth. Make sure the slack in the chain isn't too great and it is getting caught underneath the flapper or that it isn't too tight, and if slightly askew, it holds it up. Finally, make sure there isn't enough slop in the flapper movement that it gets caught against something like the overflow tube or something else in the tank.
I'll try that. Because the one on my American Standard Cadet 2 did that for a while but now its fine, it has the same flapper

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks