Who makes this thing / where can I find replacement parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gramps09

Reaction score
Who makes this thing / where can I find replacement parts? It was a Moen Cartridge!

I have a leaky shower, it never stops leaking, no matter the handle position. It doesn't leak at the handle, it leaks at the shower head.

So, I took apart the blasted thing, and nobody that I have went to knows anything about it.

Here is some pics that I took.

The stem has a screen in it...

I would want to replace the dang blasted thing, but as you can see in the pic, the sucker is soldered in, and there is no room to get a tourch into that area! In fact, there was a 6" 2x4 that wasn't fastened in that hole, I guess to prevent people from pulling the handle too hard, well, that thing fell down. :mad: So it now rattles the whole blasted pipe when you try to move the handle now.

Any ideas who makes this thing? There is no brand name, or part # or anything like that on it, and it is at least 30 years old.
If no ideas on that, got any ideas how to replace it? I don't think the wife would want me to cut a hole in the wall to get access to the pipes.

About all I know, is that Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, and meenards have no clue who makes it., and it isn't listed in their books.

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 552
  • fixture.jpg
    fixture.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 557
  • stem.jpg
    stem.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
It's a Moen Faucet. The good news is the stem is still sold. Lowes or Home Depot. The bad news is when you tried to remove it came apart. The rest of the stem is still in the faucet. They make a tool to remove the rest of it. It's a T shaped handle with a spring loaded pin, that when inserted into the remaining stem it locks into a hole in the stem. Then just twist and pull.

Good luck John

moen1225.gif

Moen 1225

Last edited by a moderator:

Gramps09

Reaction score
It's a Moen Faucet. The good news is the stem is still sold. Lowes or Home Depot. The bad news is when you tried to remove it came apart. The rest of the stem is still in the faucet. They make a tool to remove the rest of it. It's a T shaped handle with a spring loaded pin, that when inserted into the remaining stem it locks into a hole in the stem. Then just twist and pull.

Good luck John

Hmm, actually, I did use that T bar puller to get the sucker out. Here is a pic of it.
That is the whole thing that came out, nothing is left in the hole that I can see, but then again, my eyes ain't what they used to be.

I also did try Lowes & HD, and they don't have anything even close to how that looks.
They were all stumped.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 550

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Hmm, actually, I did use that T bar puller to get the sucker out. Here is a pic of it.
That is the whole thing that came out, nothing is left in the hole that I can see, but then again, my eyes ain't what they used to be.

I also did try Lowes & HD, and they don't have anything even close to how that looks.
They were all stumped.

All you have is the inner part of the stem. That's why you see nothing like it. The faucet you have is a Moen Chateau. The part you are looking for is a replacement stem # 1200 or 1225. One is plastic the other is brass, either will work. But you will need the the tool to remove the other half of the stem. I don't think you will find it at HD. Try a plumbing supply house. I think it is made by Pasco. The tool should cost about $8.00 The tool you have is a Moen stem puller but when the stem brakes this 2nd tool is needed to the broken half. As I said before, it is T shaped with a spring loaded pin on the end.

John

moen1225.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
They were all stumped.

Classic. You notice that about 100 plumbers, who were reading your post before their first cup of coffe had kicked in, IMMEDIATELY recognized your parts. That handle, the valve with the piece stuck in it, and the partial stem.....those are in the top 3 of the most common items found in showers in the US. But the poor schmuck at the store did not recognize anything!

There are techniques to remove the remnants of the cartridge,which others will fill you in on shortly.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Moen

There are several ways to remove the rest of the stem, but the remover with the spring loaded pin is the last resort. After you insert it, you MUST be able to remove the core or your only resort will be to replace the valve because there is no way to get the remover out until the core is removed. I have three devices to remove that piece. One of the most available to you would be a 1/2" bolt tap, a piece of 1/2" threaded rod, (or a long bolt), a nut and some 3/4" washers. Tap threas into the piece inside the faucet, screw in the rod, place several washers over the rod (center them on the valve body so the opening is clear, then put the nut on and tighten it. IF you have the washers placed properly the core will be pulled out through them. Once it starts to move you will usually be able to pull it out by hand.

Gramps09

Reaction score
There are several ways to remove the rest of the stem, but the remover with the spring loaded pin is the last resort. After you insert it, you MUST be able to remove the core or your only resort will be to replace the valve because there is no way to get the remover out until the core is removed. I have three devices to remove that piece. One of the most available to you would be a 1/2" bolt tap, a piece of 1/2" threaded rod, (or a long bolt), a nut and some 3/4" washers. Tap threas into the piece inside the faucet, screw in the rod, place several washers over the rod (center them on the valve body so the opening is clear, then put the nut on and tighten it. IF you have the washers placed properly the core will be pulled out through them. Once it starts to move you will usually be able to pull it out by hand.

Thank you kindly folks, your all a class act!
Wish I could say more than thanks, saved me quite a penny on that bugger!

Funny thing is, when I brought the pieces back in, to look for the new valve, the guy next to me said, "Oh, looks like you got a moen", and he just got done replacing 2 of them, since they broke the same way mine did. He also said that if time wasn't a issue, then I could have called Moen, and they would send me replacement parts for little to no cost.

This is the sucker, once I pulled it out.

Once again, thanks to all that replied!

Oh, that reminds me, in the first picture, of the pipes, in that hole there was a loose 4-5 " 2x4 just sitting over the pipe, and when I first tried to remove the valve stem, that fell into the wall. Now, I can feel the pipe shake when I open/close the handle (but it don't leak anymore!) . I am not sure what to do about that, I can't fit another piece of wood in that hole, and I guess the main purpose was to keep the pipe from rattling? I thought about putting that expanding foam in there, but not sure what I should do. Ideas?

Attachments

• lastpiece.jpg
    lastpiece.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 549

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Can you get access through the back wall. Here lots of times the back wall is in a closet.

Gramps09

Reaction score
Can you get access through the back wall. Here lots of times the back wall is in a closet.

No, that wall goes to the master bathroom, next to a vanity. It would be a pretty big job to cut open that wall, and deal with a ugly eye sore.
The other side is the exterior wall, which I guess is a even bigger job to get at that wall.

I can't believe that the house passed inspection with all these warts I am finding all over the place.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
board

Use a short piece of 2x2 slightly longer than the hole is wide. Put some construction adhesive on both ends, slip it into the hole, then pull it back against the drywall and hold it until the adhesive grabs.

Gramps09

Reaction score
Use a short piece of 2x2 slightly longer than the hole is wide. Put some construction adhesive on both ends, slip it into the hole, then pull it back against the drywall and hold it until the adhesive grabs.

Well, I tried that, looks like it did the job.

Thanks again gents!
:)

ProVega350

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to All! :)

I had the exact same problems (except for the loose 2x4) and I was lost. :confused:

Thanks to Gramps09 for asking the detailed questions with pictures and for the followup with pictures.

Thanks to everyone else especially hj for their input.

Leo :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks