Who knows what to do with a new Delta tub spout in new construction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kansasteacher

Reaction score
First- thanks in advance for any help!!!

I am building a cabin in Arkansas- new construction. House was "roughed in."

I installed two one piece tub/showers. The plumber installed the diverters in each, and I have put on the handles. The shower heads screwed into the appropriate spots, where he had sweat female threaded pipe ends.

Now the problem, I think. The tub down spouts only have the copper pipe coming out from the hole in the tub/shower. The parts look like a male end should have been sweated on, but nothing is on this copper pipe.

How do I install the downspout.

This is a Delta system. I cannot afford a plumber, so any advice you give would be appreciated.:) :) :)

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
You either need to sweat some male thread adapters on the copper or buy some spouts that slip over the copper pipe and are tightened with a set screw.

I would expect that there are caps soldered onto the ends of the copper, which would need to be cut off, of course.

Good luck.

Kansasteacher

Reaction score
norcal-

Thank goodness your brain is working and mine is not- possible sleep deprivation issue...

The copper extends probably 6 inches from the wall, so I believe you are right and that the only thing I need to do is get a spout with a setscrew, if the one that was provided does not have one.

I never looked at the spout provided; if it has a set screw, then there is no problem.

Thanks so much!!!!!

Are you a plumber?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only thing you may have to do is maybe shorten the pipe; depends on the brand how far out it needs to stick.

TedL

Reaction score
If the spout is not the slip-on type, you can sweat a male adapter onto it. You need to carefully measure the spout, but generally you need about 4" projection from the wall surface to the tip of the male adapter.

Slip-on definitely simplifies..........

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Delta

if this is the "adjust to wall" Delta spout with the brass adapter that the spout screws onto, you can either install a male adapter and screw the spout adapter to it, (the best way), or slide the adapter onto the copper, solder it on, and then cut the excess copper off.

delta-lahara-07.jpg

delta-lahara-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TedL

Reaction score
You don't need access behind...you're sweating several inches outside the wall.

But you may be better off getting a slip on that seals with an o-ring and stays put because of a set screw. Appx. $12 at just about any hardware store. Make sure to get one with a diverter if you need it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On most of the screw-on tub spouts I've seen (not that many), the actual connector is recessed inside of the spout, not at the end, so you can add the threaded adapter withe the stub sticking out. The hassle is getting the length just right so it tightens up straight when in contact with the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks