White specks in water

Users who are viewing this thread

Garydaplummer

Union plumber/pipefitter-self employed
Reaction score
I have a customer who was experiencing whilte specks in their kitchen faucet, a pull-out sprayer type Delta. The faucet aerator was getting blocked by them. I took the spray head off the hose and ran water in a glass, it only came from the hot water. These specks were soft to the touch. I thought dip tube and my supply house rep agreed (Bradford White electric) so we ordered another one for the water heater. When I went to install it the original dip tube looked in tact, but I went ahead and replced it anyway, it was quite brittle. Now, about 5 months later, they call back that this has happened again. It seems to be only at the kitchen sink and after talking to the local rep and the Bradford White rep originally we all came up with the idea that it was because that was the closest hot water outlet off the water heater that it was showing up there. Now of course that diagnosis is suspect. Any similar experiences out there? I checked the under sink plumbing, copper with chromed supply tubes. The specks are white in color, very small, and when you rub them between the fingers they break apart.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Test the particles with vinegar,
If they dissolve they are minerals...
If they don't they are dip tube...

Part of replacing the dip tube is flushing it out...
Not an easy task...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks