White residue inside pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylorjm

Reaction score
So when servicing my well system and adding a shut off valve, I noticed that the galvanized pipe that was used to setup the pressure tank, switch, gauge and boiler drain valve had a white residue inside it. It wasn't a crusty buildup, just a thin layer and I could wipe it with my finger and it would coat my finger as well. This is before the water softener and I have very hard water, 65 gpg of hardness. So any idea what the white residue is? Is it just because of the hard water or is it something unique to the galvanized pipe? I'm pretty sure it isn't inside any of the copper after the water softener but I don't know if it's on the copper before the water softener. Just wanted to make sure it's not something related to the galvanized pipe as this is the only galvanized in the entire system. Mineral buildup from the hard water? Does it accumulate only on galvanized or any kind of piping?

Reach4

Reaction score
Mineral buildup from the hard water? Does it accumulate only on galvanized or any kind of piping?
Hardness mineral buildup, yes.

It will deposit on anything, but it might flake off of smoother surfaces. Galvanized, and galvanized with rust, are rougher.

Galvanized pipes rust, so it is best to avoid those when you rebuild stuff.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Hardness mineral buildup, yes.

It will deposit on anything, but it might flake off of smoother surfaces. Galvanized, and galvanized with rust, are rougher.

Galvanized pipes rust, so it is best to avoid those when you rebuild stuff.

Thanks. Yeah, the previous owner used galvanized fittings connected to the pressure tank verses one of the prefab brass ones. I've debated on replacing it but it's less than 10 years old so it should have some time left. If I ever need to replace the pressure tank then I'll definitely make some changes. Just wanted an opinion as to if it was some reaction to galvanized pipe, or pretty much any pipe in contact with the hard water. Thanks for the advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks