White-chalky substance plugging all faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

KrazyPlace

Reaction score
We moved into this house 8 months ago and I have been fighting a chalky substance that keeps plugging up the faucets. It shows up in both bathrooms (faucets, showers, tubs) and the kitchen faucet and now I'm having flow restriction problems with the dishwasher.

I've flushed the lines (all of them) and I get a bunch of this stuff out. I would discribe it as a white chalky substance. It looks like 'Dow Flake', but it can be broken up in between my fingers into a coarse powder.

One of my faucets gets plugged in the hot water handle's valve, but not on the cold side. The other faucets get plugged after the handles in the discharge strainer (sorry, wrong term there... maybe aerator?). I didn't get any of this stuff out of the water heater when I did the flush, but this stuff floats and the drain is on the bottom. I didn't flush it 'empty', I just did a flush through.

Any suggestions? I have some of the chalky material, can I take it to someone to figure out what it is? Thanks for your advice!!

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's probably the dip tube from the water heater deteriorating. A good service plumber can fix it for you, unless the water heater looks like it should be replaced as well.

GoTanklessToday

In the Trades
Reaction score
KrazyPlace said:
We moved into this house 8 months ago and I have been fighting a chalky substance that keeps plugging up the faucets. It shows up in both bathrooms (faucets, showers, tubs) and the kitchen faucet and now I'm having flow restriction problems with the dishwasher.

I've flushed the lines (all of them) and I get a bunch of this stuff out. I would discribe it as a white chalky substance. It looks like 'Dow Flake', but it can be broken up in between my fingers into a coarse powder.

One of my faucets gets plugged in the hot water handle's valve, but not on the cold side. The other faucets get plugged after the handles in the discharge strainer (sorry, wrong term there... maybe aerator?). I didn't get any of this stuff out of the water heater when I did the flush, but this stuff floats and the drain is on the bottom. I didn't flush it 'empty', I just did a flush through.

Any suggestions? I have some of the chalky material, can I take it to someone to figure out what it is? Thanks for your advice!!

If you check the age of the water heater, you will likely find that the mfg date was 1993-1996. During this time, all water heater manufacturers were being supplied with faulty dip tubes. This created a huge class action lawsuit, and many thousands (millions?) of dollars worth of service calls. The best advice from someone who had dealt with this exact situation at least 300 times, is to REPLACE THAT HEATER. The heater can be flushed, but it isn't easy, its messy, laborous, and not really worth it since that heater is nearing the end of its life anyway. If you do plan to try and flush it, uninstall it and take it outside somewhere and remove nipples, T&P, and drain valve. Use high pressure to spray inside the tank as best as possible, from all angles possible, and allow it to flow out the drain valve opening. I made a special tool just for this out of 3/8 soft copper that would reach inside the tank and spray at different angles. After about 2 hours, you may get it all. Maybe not. Afterwards, reinstall new T&P, dip tube, and other nipples as necessary and reinstall.

Once you are assured the heater isn't holding any more of the junk, then you can go to work flushing the pipes in the house. That's a whole different thread. Good luck!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can test to see if it is the dip tube by taking some of the substance and placing it in 1/2 a glass of vinegar and leave it there for an hour. If it is dip tube it will will not dissolve, if it is minerals it will.

KrazyPlace

Reaction score
First of all. Thank you, all of you!

GoTanklessToday said:
If you check the age of the water heater, you will likely find that the mfg date was 1993-1996. During this time, all water heater manufacturers were being supplied with faulty dip tubes...
I couldn't find a manufacturers date, but it is a:

Rheem
Model # 81V52D B
Serial # R 0895126406

How can I get the manufactures date from this?

Cass said:
You can test to see if it is the dip tube by taking some of the substance and placing it in 1/2 a glass of vinegar and leave it there for an hour. If it is dip tube it will will not dissolve, if it is minerals it will.
OK, after 1 hour, it is still there without ANY of it dissolving.

I have a home warranty that covers the hot water heater, but not the piping (e.g. scaling or leaks, etc). I'll call it in to the warranty company as a bad water heater and see what the plumber says when he gets here. Any other suggestions? Should I try to get them to flush the lines as part of the work?

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In my area there are alot of older homes with similar problems...calcium or lime deposits that form inside pipes and break loose on their own as well as every time the pipes are tinkered with. Lots have to have filters on the main water line. Others need the filters plus their pipes need to be replaced. I worked on one last year that every pipe in the house was clogged from "stuff" growing in them. I was amazed that once I got them going again that they guy didn't take me up on my offer to repipe the house after I replaced the line from the meter.

KrazyPlace

Reaction score
But in my case, the stuff isn't calcium/carbonate/water hardness, so I think I'm safe in the previous recomendations... right?

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Don't know... wish I knew a test for the calcium... will have to look it up. If it's not magnesium or aluminum it's gotta be some kind of mineral.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Your home warranty should cover replacement of the dip tube as log as you pay the deductible.

GoTanklessToday

In the Trades
Reaction score
KrazyPlace said:
First of all. Thank you, all of you!

I couldn't find a manufacturers date, but it is a:

Rheem
Model # 81V52D B
Serial # R 0895126406

How can I get the manufactures date from this?

That heater was manufactured in Aug 95. That is right in there in the range of dates with bad dip tubes. This is dip tube disintegration for sure.

OK, after 1 hour, it is still there without ANY of it dissolving.

I have a home warranty that covers the hot water heater, but not the piping (e.g. scaling or leaks, etc). I'll call it in to the warranty company as a bad water heater and see what the plumber says when he gets here. Any other suggestions? Should I try to get them to flush the lines as part of the work?

The plumber is going to want to fail that tank if possible. The work involved to flush it is extensive. Time for a new one.

Pour a quart of water on the floor just before the plumber gets there...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
GoTanklessToday said:

I see...... try and fool the tech who comes out to look at the problem so they can cheat the home warranty company out of a water heater?

KrazyPlace

Reaction score
Randyj said:
Don't know... wish I knew a test for the calcium... will have to look it up. If it's not magnesium or aluminum it's gotta be some kind of mineral.
Randy, calcium diposits will disolve in acids... even weak acids like vinegar. I did try some Drain-O too and that didn't work either.

Cass said:
Your home warranty should cover replacement of the dip tube as log as you pay the deductible.
Interesting enough... the home warranty people said they won't cover the dip tube. They said that 'technically' the dip tube wasn't a 'failure'. They said if the water is hot and if it flowed, that it has not 'failed'.

GoTanklessToday said:
I wouldn't try to cheat the warranty people even if they are of questionable integraty themselves. I'll see what a professional finds on Wednesday then work out the details with the warranty.

GoTanklessToday

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cass said:
I see...... try and fool the tech who comes out to look at the problem so they can cheat the home warranty company out of a water heater?

Lighten up there Officer Friday....

I guess I should have clarified that I was just joking with that remark... I didn't realize people woudl take me serious. Of course I don't seriously suggest that kind of thing. Actually, a customer of mine tried that trick... I had a good laugh at his effort.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
You could also take a bottle of water to a pool place and they can check it for excess calcium. Usually for free.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks