Whistling Noise When Turning Off Cold Water

Users who are viewing this thread

jkon

Reaction score
I live in a ranch house that I purchased newly built 28 years ago. The house has oil forced hot water heat. When I turn off the cold water at both my kitchen sink or bathroom sink, I hear a whistling sound that lasts about two seconds. Sounds like a whistling noise that a bomb makes when dropping through the air. It doesn't always do it which makes it difficult to isolate where it is coming from. It is not my toilet flush valve because I removed the tank lid and listened and it is not coming from the toilet. The whistling just started about two weeks ago. Any ideas of what it may be and how to isolate it would be appreciated. Thank you all!

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Do you have a pressure reducing valve on your main water line at the meter or where it enters the house?

Reach4

Reaction score
The sound starts after you turn off the water, or as you are in the process of turning off the water?

Do you have a PRV (pressure reducing valve) on city water coming into the house?

jkon

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. The sound starts after I turn off the water. And yes there is a pressure reducing valve in the system.

Reach4

Reaction score
We think you should listen and feel there while somebody operates the faucet.

Sometimes setting the pressure higher or lower will stop noises.

jkon

Reaction score
Yesterday I hooked a hose bib water pressure gauge up to my outside faucet which is located right after the pressure reducing valve. At first the pressure read 50 psi. I left the gauge in place for 10 minutes and came back to find the pressure had jumped to 120 psi. I would think my valve is bad. My pressure reducing valve is 28 years old. Thank you all for all your help.!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do more pressure tests, in other locations, like the water heater drain faucet and the washing machine cold supply.
If these places show the same highs and lows, replace the PRV.

Reach4

Reaction score
Rising pressure once you turn off all water use can be your PRV leaking. It can be thermal expansion if the water heater runs to replenish hot water. The thermal expansion tank should be empty of water when water pressure is at the regulated pressure. Knock on it.

You may need both fixed.

If you turn the WH off or to vacation mode, and the pressure rises as you observed, the PRV is bad. But still they could both be bad.

jkon

Reaction score
My expansion tank is only two years old. It was replaced when I had my new boiler installed two years ago. I did tap on it however. It's empty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks