Whirlpool tub leaks ONLY while draining...IDEAS?

Users who are viewing this thread

jbtracy4

Reaction score
I have a whirlpool tub (jets, etc.) that is only two years old and has only been used 3 to 4 times. The last time it was used the tub leaked onto the first floor ceiling and wall.

I have determined through trial and error that the leaking only occurs while the tub is draining. I ran the water without using the stopper and nothing happened. So it seems that the water pressure from the draining tub is the factor causing the leak.

There is no access to the draining plumbing only to motor of the whirlpool. The drain sits in the middle of the tub.

I would appreciate anyones wisdom as to what may be causing this and approaches to repairing said leak. Sincerely!

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
your diagnosis is good

the installer has to open the space where the overflow and drain are in order to fix this. You can fix this too.

You have accurately determined when the leak occurs. No matter how it is described using plumbing terms (shoe, drain overflow), you'll still need to fix it with access to the plumbing.

david

jbtracy4

Reaction score
There was also building debris in the stopper. Such as Caulking, Dry Wall bits, and lumber chips. Could this be contributing to the leak? What would be the actual cause now that I have determined when the leak occurs?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They could...by slowing the drain water, the levels get higher. If things aren't sealed properly, that extra height could allow water to leak. The seal keeping the water in the tub (the stopper) is working.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
leak stopper product

i have seen a product, but never used it, and never seen anyone writing about it here, but it mmight, just might be a temporary fix .... it is called leak stopper or something like that...

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks