Whirlpool Tub Drain Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

mnRemodeler

Reaction score
I'm still fighting with this whirlpool tub that I installed. Currently I'm having issues with the drain leaking. When I installed it the first time, I chose silicone (based on recommendations given to me) to put under the drain basket flange between the inside of the tub and the basket. I also put some silicone on the rubber gasket that sits up against the bottom of the tub underneath. It leaked. So then I removed it and I notice the fiberglass was chipped on the inside of the tub around the hole. I fixed that chip.

Then on reinstallation, I used plumbers putty under the flange on the drain basket. I didn't put anything on the rubber gasket on the drain itself. I made sure the tub flange area was clean where the rubber gasket presses up against the tub. It leaked again. It did not leak while the drain was closed. I filled the whole tub with water and not one drop leaked. As soon as I started draining the tub, however, water started leaking out around the drain. So that, I think, tells me it was the rubber gasket under the tub that was leaking because the flange on the inside of the tub had to be water tight because it didn't leak until I opened the drain.

Initially when I installed the drain basket I just snugged it up. I didn't want to push all the putty out by really tightening it hard. After the last leak, however, I said screw it and I tightened it down pretty tight under the theory that the rubber gasket should be compressed some.

This isn't rocket science. I've never had a drain leak. Ever. I think this damn tub is cursed.

I haven't had a chance to water test since really tightening the drain. Will test it this evening. It may be fixed now, I don't know.

But my question is....is there some sort of trick to this or something I'm missing? Should I have put silicone on the rubber gasket? I read that you don't need to and it can make things worse so I opted to not put any sealer on it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The trick is making sure the drain under the tub aligns with the tub. The seal is made with the clean gasket sandwiched between the drain shoe and the bottom of the tub.
I never use Silicone and I never put anything on the threads of the drain. I want those threads clean so that it will spin down and clamp the tub.

To make sure the tub drain aligns, I sometimes install onto the tub first, the overflow and the drain, and then make up the santee and pipe sections and glue it up. Then I remove the drain assembly and located it in the hole, then drop the tub down on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks