Whirlpool Refrigerator W/Bottom Freezer Drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

ChiefIFD32

Reaction score
Hi All....
Kinda frustrated here. I have a Whirlpool Refrigerator W/Bottom Freezer model # WRX988SiBW01
The freezer compartment was iced up and I took the bottom of the freezer apart. Cleared the ice and ran very hot water down the drain under the coils. I had disconnected the drain tube in the back of the refrigerator, the water ran out of it.
My big question is the drain tube has two outlets, the tube is in a Y configuration. One nipple drops straight down from the freezer and has ribs on it. The second outlet looks to be a black rubber protruding about 3/8 of an inch from the bottom of the freezer. The two outlets are run through the same Y drain tube and there is one screw that holds the drain tight to it.
The one ribbed drain line is clear after running the water through it, the second (maybe) drain line is not clear or at least I can't push a small brush past maybe 1/2 inch up.
Does anyone know what that black drain is, if it is a drain???
I'm not seeing any "Duck Bill" drain that seems to be common with these refrigerators. The refrigerator was new in 2015.....
P.S. the refrigerator freezer is all back together and working properly, however if I can prevent it from icing again that would be ideal.
Thanks for any insight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks