Which Toilet Gasket/Seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Larry S

Occasional DIY'er
Reaction score
I am getting ready to install a new Toto Entrada toilet over a newly tiled floor.

The old toilet flange is roughly level with the top of the floor (not above it) but is not level. The high side is between 1/8” and 1/16” above the surface of the floor and the low side is an equal distance below the top of the floor so that there could be a variation in the flange height of up to ¼”.
  1. With all of this in mind, which kind of gasket should I use? Regular wax ring, two wax rings, extra thick wax ring or some type of wax free ring?
  2. If the right answer is an extra thick wax ring then my next question is if I should be concerned about the plastic horns in these or not. All of the extra thick rings seem to have these horns and it seems like most of the discussions about these is that they could be problematic and disrupt the water flow.
  3. Also, I noticed that the extra thick rings at my local store are all Fluidmaster and come in two types (both with plastic horns) with the difference being that one of them is marked as "reinforced". Does anyone know what the difference is between these and if either one is a better or worse option? The Fluidmaster website doesn’t have much information on this?
  4. I’ve also considered adding a spacer ring and then using a regular wax ring, but it seems that there is a lot of dislike of the spacers here. I know that the ideal solution would be to replace the flange with one just above the floor and level to it, but that just seems like overkill to me. But should I reconsider using a spacer ring if I'd need something other than a standard wax ring?
I don’t know if I’m overanalyzing things or not but it somehow seems like deciding which gasket to use is more complicated than picking out which toilet to buy!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks