Which MODEL shower valve???

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin Maxwell

Reaction score
HI All!!

I am GLAD to have found this forum! I have two shower valves in my home. One is a shower only, the other is a shower and tub combo if that makes a diff. The house was built in 1985 and I believe these are originals. Both will not turn off. The tub/shower one the handle broke off and we can't find another to fit it.

How hard is it to just take these completely out and replace with something new? Evidently Moen is a P.I.T.A. anyway, and I would like something thats newer and easier to work with and repair.

Incidentally both are surrounded by fiberglass enclosures..

HELP!!!!!!!!???
Martin

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Moen is great in my book, these are easy to fix, new handle on the one that is broke, and cartridge in them both and it will be like new, take handle off first and the remove center stop tube, take out horse shoe looking clip and pull cartridge out, get new part for what you need reassemble.

Turn water off to house 1st

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

Assuming these are single handle valves the handles are easy to find. Just make sure you get the one for a tub/shower valve, not for a lavatory which looks the same but works differently. If these are the types of valves you have and they have plastic insert cartridges, they should extract fairly easily. If they are brass ones you may be lucky and they come out easily. Otherwise they can be very difficult and may need a plumber with his specialized extractors to get it out, so do not start the job on Saturday when a plumber would be on overtime rates.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks