Which Mixet post-1968 shower cartridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

spb

Reaction score
Hello and thank you in advance for your kind assistance! Sorry for the long post, just trying to be sufficiently descriptive.

I'm replacing a Mixet shower cartridge in a home built in the 80s. I suspect the prior owner used the wrong replacement cartridge in the past because not only do we have significant issues controlling water temperature (lukewarm water, unpredictable variation in temperature based on temperature knob position), but also because the cartridge practically fell out of the valve when I removed the retaining nut.

After internet research I bought a BrassCraft SLD1350 for OEM Part MS5AT-C. This cartridge is similar but different from the old cartridge. When I tried to install it, it wouldn't slide all the way into the valve (only about an inch, which also corresponds with a slight narrowing of the inner pipe diameter that I can easily feel with my fingertip). So I went to a different hardware store and purchased a Kissler 711-7045 Mixet replacement cartridge. This cartridge looks more like the old cartridge and I was able to slide it into the valve up to the brass ring. However, the temperature issue remains.

So now I'm trying (again) to find the correct replacement cartridge. Without the "original" cartridge (which was discarded by the previous owner), how can I confirm which cartridge is correct? And since cartridge design apparently varies by manufacturer, what companies offer Mixet replacement parts and what are the corresponding part numbers that I should try? For example I see that Danco offers the 88200, which may be yet another variation in the part design and fit. I've also seen OEM MS5AT-C and OEM MS5A6-PK, so many part numbers ...

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need original Mixet parts. After market parts won't do in your case.

Yes the shelves are loaded with so many similar parts, but they are not equal. That's why you need the original part for matching purposes, and you don't have it.

Mixet cartridges are not cheap and at this point, if I were you, I would look into the possibility of replacing the rough in body. You may be lucky to work inside the shower and if you need a larger hole for access, be able to find a larger cover plate. Otherwise, do the rough in replacement from the other side of the wall. We do this all the time in hopeless situations, and the result is always: A brand new faucet.

One easy to install rough in is the Moen 62300 series.

mixet-valve-terrylove-01.jpg

three-handle-terrylove-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely you have a pressure balanced valve. The cartridge is the same but the bonnet nut and handle trim is different. Brasscraft is the OEM distributor since they acquired Mixet from Delta's parent company. The pdf will show you all necessary parts.

Attachments

• Mixet P:B.pdf
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,165
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks