Which Low Flow toilet would be best for a septic tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

JC101

Reaction score
I have a house which is a rental that has 3 Full Baths. The septic is failing as we have been told. I have installed a front load washer to help. I've installed a filteration system on the washer to catch the lint before going to the septic.

My question is which is the BEST Low Flow Toilet yet afforable for a rental for us to install.

It would be great if they have a toilet that doesn't hold water that could leak into the septic. One of the toilet's chain was under the flap for at least 24 hours before tenant caught it and fixed it but by than it overflowed the septic which was pumped about a month ago (last pump was late 09).

Please advise afforable brands, DUAL FLUSH, would be nice.

Thanks

Added Info:
Yes performance and clogging issues is a big concern. I assume the chain broke, not sure, will take a look at it later. I figured low flow to keep out as much water of the septic, plus a dual flush would be nice I would assume. I just do not want any low flow issues but I don't want to pump the septic periodically either.

Thanks all, any additional info is great.

As for the TOTO Eco Drake, there are a variety, so does that mean any model? There is at least 6 to choose from? Does it matter?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
TOTO Eco Drake uses 1.28 GPF and gets the Watersense water rebate.
With any toilet, at some point you will need maintenance.

And there are others you can choose, dropping down my list.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any toilet sold today is a low flow. Some use 1.6 gallons and some of the newer ones use only 1.28 gallons so the effect the toilet itself has on a septic tank is the same regardless of brand. The problem you described was the flapper chain getting stuck under the flapper. Not sure how that could happen since the chain usually has no slack. However, no matter what brand of toilet, the flapper can fail. I think the important things for a landlord to consider are general performance and clogging issues. If a toilet does not flush the bowl completely on the first flush so a second or even third flush is needed, the low flow feature is lost. As a landlord, you are the one to get called in the middle of the night when the toilet clogs. This is why the $99.00 specials at Big Box Stores are a ripoff. The best performing toilets are those in the Toto line. You can't get them are discount centers, and they may cost slightly more, but the do not have the problems outlined above.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to Terry's Forums TC101,

I think that you might be better off with what you already have.

Just replace the Water valve and the flapper and adjust it properly.

Have a great day.

DonL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks