Which fill valve for Toto Gwyneth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I put a new tsu99a.x in my Gwyneth toilet. It still makes A lot of noise. (80psi)
What’s a good fill valve for a Gwyneth?

thanks!

st454e-terrylove-1.jpg

korky-toto-white-box-600.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's the fill valve I like for those. Does the noise come for the shutoff at the wall? Sometimes there is a loose washer that flutters there.
I like to open the valve up all the way, and then back it in a bit.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
That's the fill valve I like for those. Does the noise come for the shutoff at the wall? Sometimes there is a loose washer that flutters there.
I like to open the valve up all the way, and then back it in a bit.
No, it’s a new 1/4 turn valve. Wide open. The noise comes and goes.
Will the Kirby 528mp platinum work ok?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A brainstorm idea (no experience, just thinking about what would be causing the noise):

I wonder if adding a flow restrictor to the toilet supply line would moderate the noise that the fill valve is showing under excess pressure? If you have a 3/8" compression x 7/8" ballcock supply line for the toilet, and you have enough vertical clearance, you could put something like this between the stop and the supply line:

https://www.conservationwarehouse.com/supplylineadapter15gpm.html

They come in various ratings, I figured 1.5 gpm would still let a modern toilet refill sufficiently quickly. That site also carries a 1.8 gpm version.

Cheers, Wayne

Rsmith99

Reaction score
A brainstorm idea (no experience, just thinking about what would be causing the noise):

I wonder if adding a flow restrictor to the toilet supply line would moderate the noise that the fill valve is showing under excess pressure? If you have a 3/8" compression x 7/8" ballcock supply line for the toilet, and you have enough vertical clearance, you could put something like this between the stop and the supply line:

https://www.conservationwarehouse.com/supplylineadapter15gpm.html

They come in various ratings, I figured 1.5 gpm would still let a modern toilet refill sufficiently quickly. That site also carries a 1.8 gpm version.

Cheers, Wayne
Might be worth a try! Thanks!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can’t change the City pressure. My house doesn’t have a pressure regulator.
Right, but if the city is giving you 90 psi, say, then the correct solution is to install a whole house pressure regulator, rather than modifying the toilet.

Cheers, Wayne

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Right, but if the city is giving you 90 psi, say, then the correct solution is to install a whole house pressure regulator, rather than modifying the toilet.

Cheers, Wayne
Can a pressure regulator be installed outside, below ground?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Can a pressure regulator be installed outside, below ground?
SOmetimes...depends on whether you can put it in a place where it's not likely to freeze. If you add a PRV, you also should add an expansion tank or you'll likely start to cause the T&P valve on the WH to open when it's heating water.

Plumbing fixtures are designed for pressure NGT 80-psi. It is not uncommon for the pressure to spike overnight as water towers get refilled and usage goes down, so you really want a gauge with a second, tattle-tale hand to record the peak pressure and leave it in place for a full 24-hour period to catch any peak.

Do you notice the sound more at night versus the middle of the day or morning, where the usage is highest in the system, and the pressure may end up lower?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks