Which deep well pump to buy, and how tough to DIY?

Users who are viewing this thread

Annalea

Reaction score
If there’s a thread that covers all of this stuff, or even several, I’m happy to read them. I just don’t know what terms to search for, at this point. I’m reasonably confident I can DIY this because I’ve DIY’ed a lot of other things, and have basic plumbing and electrical skills. (And, in my state, it’s legal for me to mess with this stuff. lol)

Okay, here are the specs (as far as I know them):

Well depth: 260’
Static water depth: 152’
Casing: 6”
Flow: 10gpm
Well is connected to cistern via a pitless adapter.
I don’t know for certain what size pipe is attached to the existing (albeit dead) stupidly expensive 1.5gpm low-voltage deep well pump, but I’m guessing it’s on the small size.
I do know we ran heavier wire than was strictly necessary for that pump; pretty sure it’s three wire.

Water specs: high calcium (the well is in a granite bed), no sediment/particulate issues. Pretty alkaline. We use magnets to “soften” the water coming into the house, since I’m not a fan of dumping salt into the septic system.

The deep well pump pushes water into a 3k gal concrete cistern, which has a beefy 120v pump that runs the house and garden systems. We’re switching from the stupidly expensive type of pump that we installed when we built the place just over six years ago. Crazy-expensive pump number three just died at the end of it’s 3-year life span, and we’re getting off of the crazy train. (The guy we used to install it in the first place, and the second one three years later, and the third one about a week later after he messed up the second install, but lied and told us it wasn’t his fault, and charged us for the third one, didn’t tell us that they have a three year lifespan until AFTER the third pump was installed, and we paid him full retail price for three pumps. UGH {/rant}{/run-on sentence}) Also, the other company that’s the only one that comes recommended locally is so busy that we’d be over a month out on his regular schedule, and several WEEKS out on his emergency schedule. (Oh, the joys of living in a rapidly growing area.) {/sob story}

So. I’m wanting to know what pump would be best, and how to do this myself, as a fairly intelligent human being with the internet at my disposal. ;o)

Thanks for reading this far, and for whatever info you can throw my way!

Annalea

Reaction score
P.S.) I have several friends that are into weightlifting, so pulling the pump up isn’t an issue . . . (Mr. Spendy-pump-pusher pulled the existing one up all by himself, so I’m sure my friend Aubry who bench presses baby elephants could handle it . . . )

Reach4

Reaction score
Well depth: 260’
Static water depth: 152’
Casing: 6”
Flow: 10gpm
Well is connected to cistern via a pitless adapter.
I might use a 1/2 HP 7 gpm pump, rather 10 gpm pump. That way, if the water fell to 240, you could still pump water. On the other hand, a 10 gpm pump would be cheaper and should be strong enough.
I don’t know for certain what size pipe is attached to the existing (albeit dead) stupidly expensive 1.5gpm low-voltage deep well pump, but I’m guessing it’s on the small size.
I think you are saying that is the failed pump.

Do you want to make your new pump easy to run with a generator? If so, consider a 3-wire pump plus control box instead of a 2-wire. Three wire pumps take less generator power to get going initially. A 230 volt pump will be a tiny bit easier unless your generator only does 120 volts. In that case, you want a 115. Don't worry. That is just the nomenclature. The 115 runs on 120 just fine.

Is the pipe polyethylene, PVC or steel? For hand work poly is easier. No talc or rosin for the weightlifter. Maybe a couple towels for grip if needed, and a helper that can hold the pipe in mid lift if needed.

Annalea

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, Reach4.

I like the idea of a lower rate pump. After spending over $1,800 on pumps in the last six years, I don't mind spending somewhat more now if I can make the problem go away for a couple of decades.

We definitely want a 3-wire pump. We have a beefy generator attachment for our walking tractor, so the total voltage is no problem.

The pipe is poly, thank goodness. I'll definitely post a photo of the pump-lifting event when it happens . . . ;o)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks