Which connector tub to waste pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Kadip

Reaction score
Hi- I am installing a new tub. The manufacturers drain pipe assembly (black) is threaded on the bottom end and the waste pipe in the floor (white) is also threaded. The drain pipe assembly in the pic has about 3in of pipe extended down into the waste pipe in this photo. Not visible. Pic attached. What type of connector should I use to connect these 2 pipes? I will have limited room so careful not to add more than about 3/4 of height with any connector. Many thanks for your advice.

IMG_4642.JPG

Kadip

Reaction score
IMG_4646.JPG
Times 2, with a short length of 1.5" tubular pipe, as both the white and black ends are threaded?

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks Wayne, appreciate that. Understood..use 2 slip joint nuts. Here is another pic. The black threaded collar you saw in the first photo ( the drain assembly) actually also has very fine threads on the inside, to which is you attach a 3" length length of black pipe that then goes down into the waste pipe. I didnt think those very fine threads were adequate to be the entire seal, else why would they have the external threads on the outside as well. Here is a pic of the black outside threaded collar, and then the drop down pipe that has the very fine threads and screws up into the inside of the black collar shown in the first photograph.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hmm, hopefully someone familiar with that part can explain why the black tee has both coarse external threads and fine internal threads. Are you supposed to thread in the finely threaded pipes and then put a SJ washer and nut over that for a second seal?

Cheers, Wayne

Kadip

Reaction score
Kind of seems like that. This is a "standard" American Standard part so Im guessing lots of people have worked with them. Their instructions dont even mention those fine internal threads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks