Which Clack Valve and filter setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Offguard-2

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide among these options:

Option 1 - CWS125 - 1 tank with combined filtration media - 1.5 cu ft
Option 2 - CWS125 - 2 tanks, 1 valve - filtration media tank after softner - 1.5 cu ft
Option 3 - CWS125 - 2 tanks , 2 valves backwashing media tank before softner - 1.5 cu ft

Family of 4 with average use of 200 GPD (city water). Water hardness of 15 and Chloramines 2.36 ppm.

The price of each system steps up in price. Are there any reasons to avoid any of these options or is it mostly based on budget? It feels like a Good, Better, Best scenario.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Option 3 will give you the best results... option 1 is worthless unless the medias are properly separated with a vortech midplate, option 2 eliminates the backwash valve on the carbon, not a particularly good idea.

Offguard-2

Reaction score
Thank you, dittohead. Do you know if the
Option 3 will give you the best results... option 1 is worthless unless the medias are properly separated with a vortech midplate, option 2 eliminates the backwash valve on the carbon, not a particularly good idea.
Thank you, dittohead.

With option 3, is 1.5 cu ft the right size? We use about 200 GPD. Hardess of 15.

Also, it looks like the Clack bypass is 1" on the WS125. I understand the valve t obe 1.25". Would the bypass adversely impact water flow?

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The Ws125 and Ws1 re virtually identical, just the internal components are different, and the riser tube is larger. The bypass will not affect flow. It has more to do with velocity calculations than flow... the bypass can flow 50 GPM theoretically; velocity would be insane but...

Size is adequate for your application.

Offguard-2

Reaction score
The Ws125 and Ws1 re virtually identical, just the internal components are different, and the riser tube is larger. The bypass will not affect flow. It has more to do with velocity calculations than flow... the bypass can flow 50 GPM theoretically; velocity would be insane but...

Size is adequate for your application.
Would the WS1 offer an adequate performance in my situation or would you suggest the additional cost of the WS125? I wasn’t sure if that was implied by your first sentence about the comparison of internal components.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks