Which are the mains cables in my fuse panel (have photo)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron_Jeremy

Reaction score
I am trying to install an Efergy True Power Meter. Basically, I am supposed to clamp a sensor onto the two mains feed cables, then a white wire to a bus bar and a black wire to a free 15A breaker. The instruction manual is short and basic but I'm need some guidance in determining the equivalvent locations on my setup.

Here are the instructions:

mains.png

white-black-wires.png

Here's my setup:

panel-01.jpeg

panel-02.jpeg

My questions are:

1. Are the mains wires A & B or C & D?
2. Where is the 'neutral bus bar' so I can secure the white wire mentioned on step 3 in the instructions?
2. The breaker on the left half of the panel (second from the bottom) has no wire secured to it. Does this mean it is free to use (for step 4 in the instructions)?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your panel is apparently 120V only, so you have only one mains (ungrounded) wire. It's probably A but it could be B.

Either way, I'm fairly sure that there are a couple electrical violations in how things are hooked up at the top. The ungrounded service conductor should enter the panel in the same conduit as the grounded/neutral/white conductor. Having those conduits with only a single wire in them is very weird and can't be correct. You should get an electrician in to take care of the issues and hook up the meter.

Cheers, Wayne

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
>>1. Are the mains wires A & B or C & D?
Hmm, you only have a 120 volt service. Your main is A and that is where one clamp goes. After completing the remaining installation steps I would try using the power meter with a single clamp. If you get no readings at all add a second clamp to B. You may also need to change a setting in the meter to get it to work accurately with a 120 volt service.

>>2. Where is the 'neutral bus bar' so I can secure the white wire mentioned on step 3 in the instructions?
The two bars that already have white wires attached are your neutral bars. Connect the white wire to a unused screw on one of those bars.
>>2. The breaker on the left half of the panel (second from the bottom) has no wire secured to it. Does this mean it is free to use (for step 4 in the instructions)?
Yes, you could use that breaker.

**I'm in the states, but where I live that panel has multiple electrical code violations.

-rick

Ron_Jeremy

Reaction score
Thanks all for your help -- it did the trick! I connected both sensors and our enery monitor works (I didn't try it with just one sensor installed). Ignore the $0.69 per day -- I wish it was only that much but that doesn't apply to us. Oh, I should've been more clear that our setup is 120V only and that we live of grid (23kW battery bank). And the fuse panel not being up to code is no surprise -- getting an electrician, or any trades person for that matter, to come to our home is not easy!

energy-monitor.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks