Where to start with decommissioned well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael A DeMarco

Reaction score
I will look closer, but currently can not see the difference in the text and the actual well log? They are both from the public records from the well.

I guess my last question is what pump to try and test the well with. Looking at the Grundfos SP, 3/4 HP, 10 GPM. Any chance that pump does not have enough GPM, or is there a chance it is too much?

Reading around, including on this forum, 3/4-1 HP seems to be the norm recommended for this depth. Anything I should be cautious of there?

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
text said 0.013 artesian flow at 13.86' head
the image showed 6 gpm artesian flow at 3.5' head

Those are drastically different....but really who cares what it did in 1979.....what matters is what it will do now. A 3/4HP 10 is a fine pump for this application...use a ball valve to restrict flow and bucket to check rate and see how much the well can keep up with. You may need to use a "dole" valve to throttle the pump if you capable of overpumping the well.

Reach4

Reaction score
Reading around, including on this forum, 3/4-1 HP seems to be the norm recommended for this depth. Anything I should be cautious of there?
Depends on how much pressure you want.
index.php

Michael A DeMarco

Reaction score
Alright,

Going to order a Grundfos 10S07-12 tomorrow, we will run it down with the existing conditions and see what it does.

Michael A DeMarco

Reaction score
Pump was ordered last week

I have been researching what I need to drop the pump in. For my shallow depth, ease of access, and desire for the ability to easily maintain myself, I am going to use HDPE drop pipe.

Once the pump is here, I will do another check of the depth of useable well I have. How far off the bottom should I hang the pump?

I am going to use flat jacket wire, 10/2 should be sufficient? Online some sites call the pump a 2 wire, some a 3 wire. On the grundfos website the Grundfos 91595125 is shown as having 3 connections, load, neutral ground.

Just to test, I can just hook to my panel or a generator, correct? No need for a control unit yet?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
#10 wire is larger than needed. #12-2 with a ground would work for a 2 wire motor. Yes you can hook directly to a generator or breaker. Probable setting at 100' would be plenty. I would think no deeper than 140' if the well is still 160'.

Michael A DeMarco

Reaction score
For the well seal, do most prefer a split cap? Looking at cast iron ones.

What about the HDPE drop pipe, the outlet of the pump is 1.25, but most supply houses look to sell 1" stuff and the well seals are 1" holes. Are people necking these down? I have some 1.25" stainless nipples kicking around, so had planned to use them.

Reach4

Reaction score
For the well seal, do most prefer a split cap? Looking at cast iron ones.
I understand that pitless adapters are almost unheard of in your no-freeze area, but there are some advantages beyond freeze prevention. The pitless is almost like a quick disconnect. It lets you have a well cap instead of a well seal at the top of your above-ground casing. It makes it easier to sanitize your well and plumbing.

A pitless adapter could even be above ground but below the top of the casing. But underground the same depth that you were going to run your pipe would be ideal I think.

Regarding the pipe, is this for a house and watering some things near the house? If so, 1 inch SIDR polyethylene would be quite sufficient.

Well seals for 1-1/4 pipe are easily available.

For a new install, I don't think there is a good reason to use a split well sell. I am not a pro.

Michael A DeMarco

Reaction score
Last part came in this week, so hit it hard today.

Checked the well depth again and it was at 135', whoops, we may have messed up the first time. I bought everything to go down a hundred feet or less, so my new Grundofs 10 gpm pump is in at 100' and pumping it's guts out. I bought the best of everything I could find, all the hardware from https://www.denverwinpump.com/

The pump came from an wholesaler out of Florida and I got a smoking deal, took a few weeks to get but drop shipped straight from Grundfos.

Popped the breaker into mu house panel and ran it for 45 minutes straight, it only draws the water down what looks like 40' or so. I can not believe how much water I have. This is going to be great.

Thanks to everyone here, I have learned a ton searching and reading on this forum. I should have taken photos, my install IMHO, was super clean.

Time to research what to hook on the other end of the hose!!

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
Last part came in this week, so hit it hard today.

Checked the well depth again and it was at 135', whoops, we may have messed up the first time. I bought everything to go down a hundred feet or less, so my new Grundofs 10 gpm pump is in at 100' and pumping it's guts out. I bought the best of everything I could find, all the hardware from https://www.denverwinpump.com/

The pump came from an wholesaler out of Florida and I got a smoking deal, took a few weeks to get but drop shipped straight from Grundfos.

Popped the breaker into mu house panel and ran it for 45 minutes straight, it only draws the water down what looks like 40' or so. I can not believe how much water I have. This is going to be great.

Thanks to everyone here, I have learned a ton searching and reading on this forum. I should have taken photos, my install IMHO, was super clean.

Time to research what to hook on the other end of the hose!!

If you don't mind would you share who the wholesaler in Florida is. I am doing some pump shopping. Thanks

Martin Boring

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I will do some pricing with them as I thinking about replacing my 20-25 year old well pump before it gives up the ghost on a weekend and I have to use a farm fleet store or a box store pump to get going and it probably will be winter and zero with blowing snow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks