Where to place walk in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Jay01

Reaction score
Hey everyone. We are interested in adding a shower to our half bathroom. The floor plan below is of our home. The house is on a tensioned concrete slab. We are okay with an acrylic shower pan. The pan doesn't have to be the standard full size pan. Any suggestions on where to place the shower?

A side note: the laundry is over sized and there is a sink next to the washer and dryer.

Screenshot_20201108-113311_kindlephoto-16427790.png

Bannerman

Reaction score
Who is the intended user of the additional shower? The blue X'd area of the Master bath is likely a shower (I can't make-up the wording and it seems narrow) and the 2 other bedrooms appear to share a bathroom with a combined tub/shower.

You mention about potentially locating a shower within the laundry room but as that room incorporates an exterior entrance, it would not be ideal.

Have you considered relocating the pantry to utilize that space for a separate shower which could maybe incorporate a sauna?

Perhaps a new pantry could be located at the end of the kitchen counter to separate the kitchen and dinning rooms.

Jay01

Reaction score
The office has been converted into a bedroom. The French doors to the office were removed and a window was installed. The interior entry door into the office was closed off, and it was relocated across from the side wall of the pantry. So, the 1/2 bath will be used by guests who stay in the new "office bedroom."

My main question is, can we tap into existing plumbing in the 1/2 bath for the new shower? Or would we have to run new plumbing?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Your water supply piping is likely feeding from the attic above so tapping into the existing supply piping will likely be fairly straightforward depending on attic and piping access.

Running the drain line for the shower will require breaking the concrete floor. As you said the floor is a tensioned concrete slab, breaking the floor will also involve cutting steel rebar which will be buried within the concrete. The shower drain pipe will need to connect into an appropriate existing drain pipe which IF the laundry drain should be unsuitable, could be where the toilet is located. The shower drain will also need to be vented which will likely require installing a vent pipe up to the attic where it will connect to the existing drain vent pipes that terminate above the roof.

Last edited:

Jay01

Reaction score
I figured as much. The thing that scares me is having to cut into the tensioned floor, as I've heard a lot can go wrong if not done correctly. I may pass on adding the shower.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your tensioned slab is your biggest concern. We hire imaging companies that use radar to locate where the tensioned cables are. They like to have a large area to work in and the smaller the space, confined by walls, the less accurate their readings are.

If you called me out to look at this project I would give you 2 options.

1- a raised shower that drains into a Saniflo pump then pumped to an appropriate drain; or

2- a more raised pedestal shower where the drain runs above the floor to an acceptable drain like the laundry sink or the bath sink if its sized properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks