Where to place toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob777Az

Reaction score
I purchased an old house and really need a second or half bath. I've talked to the city about permits etc but need help on what is best option and some how to.

I pulled out washer out an old sink and there is a floor drain that appears 2" that has a p trap (poured water in) and is only about 8" to center. There is also a cleanout. On the other side of wall is main bathroom and was told sewer runs parallel or under that wall.

What do you guys think is best approach. Or are there options Would? Would also like to add a small modern sink on one side of it or the other.

Thanks in advance, Rob
20210415_081513.jpg

20210415_081522.jpg

Attachments

• 20210415_081518.jpg
    20210415_081518.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 111

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
For best design you will want to start with a Plan View of what you have for existing walls and what is structural, then work towards what you want the space to become.

Its slab on grade, so you will be breaking up a fair amount of concrete to tie in the new bathroom downstream of the existing. Unless you have the time and resources to tear up the whole thing and design for both.

At my inlaws we recently turned the space that had the washer and dryer into a small powder room. It JUST had enough room to get a tiny sink and toilet into.

When I go to look at projects and I can locate a floor drain, I check the level of the water in that drain which will give me a really close approximation of the drain elevation, since the height of the water level will coincide with the bottom of the building drain.

Rob777Az

Reaction score
At my inlaws we recently turned the space that had the washer and dryer into a small powder room. It JUST had enough room to get a tiny sink and toilet into.

When I go to look at projects and I can locate a floor drain, I check the level of the water in that drain which will give me a really close approximation of the drain elevation, since the height of the water level will coincide with the bottom of the building drain.

Thank you, that is exactly my goal, a small half bath. I am not sure I understand the drain level reference and how to use that. The water in p trap from concrete level is about 5.5 inches. Does that mean sewer is at that depth?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water evacuates a trap til it reaches the weir. The weir is the same height roughly as the bottom of your drain pipe. So that is roughly the depth of your bottom of the drain. If your drain is 3 or 4 inches in diameter, you know the center line is roughly 1.5 to 2" above that water level.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks