Where to place Tankless Water Heater Condensation Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike McKinzie

Reaction score
I am planning on installing a tankless water heater in my attic. Where would you recommend that I run the condensation line and how much water will be coming through it. The drain for the A/C unit is right next to where I will install the water heater and it empties into a pipe which I believe leads to the sewer.
IMG_20170321_144150045.jpg IMG_20170321_144219366.jpg
I seem to have two options. I can run pvc across the attic and outside or I can tie into the A/C drain. What would you recommend?

C

ColeMaude

I have placed inside store room. I have another option to place outside the wall.

Stuff

Reaction score
I would drain to the existing pipe but verify where it is going, properly trapped, etc. Some locales don't want untreated condensate going into the sewer so check with your permit office.

Also, condensate line from a/c coil does not seem to have a trap so cold air is being pushed into the drain. Someone insulated the pipe instead most likely because it was sweating. Get that fixed and check for an overflow switch/sensor.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I would check the Galvanized Tee on your gas line as normal plumber /gas fitters do not use galvanized unless it is subject to moisture and if this was the case why would they mix black steel and galvanized?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Natural gas condensate is mildly acidic, and plastic is the right material for condensate drains, even if it's buffered with a neutralizer cartridge. (Who is going to check and maintain the neutralizer if it's an a 130F attic?)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks