Where to Install Water Filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

maya56

Reaction score
Hello,

Going to attempt installing a Whirlpool whole-house filter (standalone unit needing power and drainage), but not sure how I should tie it into my main water line given lack of space with the shutoff. Here's a picture of the main line going into the house:

Any suggestions would be appreciated - thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Are you subject to freezing weather? f so, is there an inside location (maybe at Water Heater cold-side inlet) that you can use?

Does this unit have some sort of back flush mechanism? What is the size of it?

I have a Whirlpool Whole House filter but it is just a canister filter with no electrical or drain requirement. What do you have?

maya56

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply! I'm in Florida so if it hits freezing, it's for a short and temporary period. Don't believe I can do this inside because I only see one cold run coming from the house:

The only other line going to/from the house is the T&P relief out. Am I correct in my assessment?

It's model WHELJ1 (here: https://www.whirlpoolwatersolutions.com/products/central-water-filtration-system/). Not sure about back flush. I was thinking of digging a trench outside with rocks for the drain hose.

Reach4

Reaction score
Most people would not want the outside hose bib to carry the filtered water.

On a related water topic, you might want to somehow protect that PVC pipe coming out of the ground from being hit by a lawn mower.

maya56

Reaction score
Given the footprint and weight of this unit once filled, coupled with no visible cold runs into the house, I think my (less intrusive) options are limited?

I noticed someone else in the neighborhood has a water softener installed outside with the following setup:

Is this an advisable solution?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Okay your in FL - same as me. So you can install it outside where you showed. You don't have freezing issues. How hard is it to get electric to the spot? Can you run the drain/back flush line somewhere away from the house? The neighbors installation looks like it should work for you too.

maya56

Reaction score
Okay your in FL - same as me. So you can install it outside where you showed. You don't have freezing issues. How hard is it to get electric to the spot? Can you run the drain/back flush line somewhere away from the house? The neighbors installation looks like it should work for you too.
Oh yes, I'm actually in the same area as you. There is a receptacle inside on the other side of the wall that I can feed off of. For the drain - the unit can be set to "manual clean rinse mode", which is done once a month. Thinking that it may even be easier to temporarily attach the drain tube and run it to the storm drain until I build a proper solution.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would NOT connect it ahead of the main shut off valve, however. If ANY THING happens to it, there is no way to turn the water supply off, other than at the water meter.

maya56

Reaction score
I would NOT connect it ahead of the main shut off valve, however. If ANY THING happens to it, there is no way to turn the water supply off, other than at the water meter.
Good idea. The filter has a bypass valve but your suggestion is the safest.

Thanks, everyone, for the input!

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
In the picture of your neighbors setup, what do you think that drain line is for that is coming off the water inlet (blocked from view just behind the garden hose)? it looks almost like some sort of pressure relief valve.

maya56

Reaction score
In the picture of your neighbors setup, what do you think that drain line is for that is coming off the water inlet (blocked from view just behind the garden hose)? it looks almost like some sort of pressure relief valve.
I'm not sure, I was thinking pressure relief valve too but not familiar with this piece. I didn't want to go too far onto the neighbor's lawn, so these were taken with some zoom. Here's another angle:

Reach4

Reaction score
Does your water go through a water meter before this point?

Could it be a pressure relief valve in lieu of a thermal expansion tank?

I suggest you put a peak reading pressure gauge on one of your spigots for a bit. If the pressure goes over 80, perhaps overnight, you will want to take some action. Watts IWTG is an example of such a gauge. http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=647

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks