Where to find brass well ell?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshRountree

Reaction score
I'm assuming that you use a well ell at the top in the well seal. This prevents the pump from falling down the well? All I hear is how bad galvanized is, but the only thing I can find is galvanized steel. Here is what I've found so farProPlumber Well Ell, can anyone point me towards the brass ones?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I assume you are using poly pipe since you show a picture of an insert elbow. Probably need to switch to a threaded fitting below the well seal. Then use a 6" brass nipple through the well seal and a threaded brass elbow to sit on top of the well seal. You can find regular threaded brass fittings at most plumbing supply places.

JoshRountree

Reaction score
I assume you are using poly pipe since you show a picture of an insert elbow. Probably need to switch to a threaded fitting below the well seal. Then use a 6" brass nipple through the well seal and a threaded brass elbow to sit on top of the well seal. You can find regular threaded brass fittings at most plumbing supply places.

Yeah, I'm using poly pipe. Your suggestion sounds good, I just thought they made an elbow for it. I guess most people these days are using pitless adapters?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Any pump or a plumbing supply house that sells pumps should have any fitting you need, in a number of different materials. I've never seen the elbow at that link, and I would not use it if it were for my own use or a customer.

I would bring the PE up through the sanitary seal and use an insert by insert brass or SS 90 if you are burying it and sch 80 PVC if not unless it is out in the sun.

I see no need for a nipple going through the sanitary well seal, and I have never seen one used and I've worked on a fair number of single and dual hole sanitary well seals.

That nipple would require at least two threaded fittings plus the nipple and it would prevent anyone being able to loosen the seal in the future and pulling the PE up through it if possible while getting the seal out.

JoshRountree

Reaction score
Does the well seal compress around the poly pipe enough to hold it in place? Or would the shoulder of whatever adapter you use sit on top of the well seal.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Does the well seal compress around the poly pipe enough to hold it in place? Or would the shoulder of whatever adapter you use sit on top of the well seal.
I've never seen 1" or 1.25" PE pipe not sealed in a sanitary seal. And in 20+ yrs I've never seen anything but PE pipe in a seal. Many of them had been buried from 4' to 10' deep up to 35 yrs and more.

So a better question is how can it not seal? Well you could run 1" pipe in the 1.25" hole, THAT won't seal.

And if you think about it, hose clamps are not going to go down the hole in the sanitary seal are they? So the seal is against only the pipe.

I do not believe PE with an insert fitting in it is going to go down the hole without clamps on it even before you tighten the seal as you are supposed to; evenly (all 4 bolts in an X pattern) and none overtightened, just tightened to seal and a half turn or so more and you're done. No lubricant on the casing, pipe or seal.

Any type pipe will be sealed very tight by the sanitary seal as long as it is IPS (iron pipe size) pipe. That's because the holes in the seal are sized for pipe, not tubing. And since I'm thinking about it, possibly better than a nipple; especially compared to 160 or 200 psi rated PE.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks