Where to drain an Iron Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
Could I get opinion on where to drain the iron filter? septic or sump? Both are readily accessible. The softener is currently drained to sump crock. Iron filter would regen every 4 days (approx. 100 gal ?) If I tied into main septic line (directly above the filter), how would I do that (I realize I may need a plumber for this one)? Or possibly tie into the sump drain where it exits the house (bypass the pump)?

How much more usage would an additional filter draining to the sump put on the sump pump? Current sump pump is about 4 years old.

Thanks all!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It should not go into the septic tank. You could pipe it to surface discharge into the woods or into you sump pit. Where is the sump discharging ?

JustaDIYer

Reaction score
Don't have woods available to pump it to. The sump discharges into a pipe that goes underground outside of the house, not sure where it goes unfortunately. My softener is currently draining into the sump now which gets pumped out. Running a drain line into the sump is the easiest way to do this, I'm just wondering the additional work load on the pump (an additional 100 gal every 4 days).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks